What should I buy, wireless networking

batotman

2[H]4U
I need a base station and a wireless card.

Looking to spend $100 or less.

Please advise me on which product to purchase that actually works well. I've got 50' between computers and 3 walls.

need more info. you looking for a pcmcia card, a pci card, usb, what?

do you already have a router?

do you have any 2.4ghz phones?

how thick are the walls? ie, are they concrete, or are they drywall, or what?

are there any other machines that you'll want to hook up wirelessly at some point?

PCI card

I do not have a WIRELESS router

2.4ghz phones? not sure this is for my mom but i doubt it

walls are drywall with wafer backing

I have setup a wireless network before at work but that was for a notebook computer to access the net.

This project is going to have one computer connected directly to router and one computer that needs a wireless connection.

Just 2 computers total thats it and only one wireless.

Originally posted by batotman
PCI card

I do not have a WIRELESS router

2.4ghz phones? not sure this is for my mom but i doubt it

walls are drywall with wafer backing

I have setup a wireless network before at work but that was for a notebook computer to access the net.

This project is going to have one computer connected directly to router and one computer that needs a wireless connection.

Just 2 computers total thats it and only one wireless.

are you in love with the existing wired router, or would you mind switching to a new wireless router?

is this going to be used primarily for internet access, or for sharing files between the computers, or what?

which is more important, price, or performance? ie, spend $50 on 11mb equiptment that works just fine, but can be sluggish on bigger things, or spend all $100 on a or g equiptment that is faster?

is usb an option, or does it have to be pci?

Not in love with router, its a 10mb one, just a cheapie.

Only need this for net access really.

USB is fine as well but seems pricier at newegg.

If you have a Compusa near your house, wait for Sundays and go online, check their in store ad. They have crazy deals on wireless gear. You can get a B setup for about $80 bucks after mail in rebate and instant savings. This is for the PCI wireless and a B router. You can pick from different brand. They usually have Buffalo, Linksys, Netgear, DLink, SMC, Belkin, and MSoft on sale.

I would not suggest that you get a USB. Saw some benchmarking and USB did not perform as well as their PCI buddies. They are the same price nowadays.

If you are not planning on doing alot of file transfer between PC to PC at home, then go for the B, saves you money. If you want to go with the next standard and newer technology then go for the G setup and run it pure G.

If you go for the G, get Netgear or Linksys. I myself am using a Netgear G setup and is running smooth. The G usually cost about $70 for the router and $40 for the PCI card. This is after MIR and IS. Original price are $100 for router and $80 for the PCI card, saving about $60 bucks. Not too bad.

Alex

Newegg has a MIR on some netgear things. The router i was looking at has a $20 rebate.

802.11b $52.99 - $20 = $32.99

Do i need a certain card to be compatible or will any 802.11b card work fine?

You can have different cards and router interacting with one another. Both Neatgear and D-Link are pretty good IMO. I have not used a Netgear router with a D-Link PCI card, so I cannot say how that will perform, but they should work out just fine. I still like to use the same brand when it comes down to PCI and Router, but that is just me.

O yeah, I have Powerbook using Apple Extreme card and it is connecting to a Netgear Wireless G as we speak, so no problem on the different brand deal. Just make sure that there aren't any rebates on the Netgear PCI before you go and purchase that D-Link one. Or make sure that there aren't any D-Link router to go with the PCI.

Originally posted by Chelica
You can have different cards and router interacting with one another. Both Neatgear and D-Link are pretty good IMO. I have not used a Netgear router with a D-Link PCI card, so I cannot say how that will perform, but they should work out just fine. I still like to use the same brand when it comes down to PCI and Router, but that is just me.

O yeah, I have Powerbook using Apple Extreme card and it is connecting to a Netgear Wireless G as we speak, so no problem on the different brand deal. Just make sure that there aren't any rebates on the Netgear PCI before you go and purchase that D-Link one. Or make sure that there aren't any D-Link router to go with the PCI.

I'll take your word for it....purchased.....$60 after rebates for router and card.

$60 after rebates, not too bad at all. All B right? Well have fun, and make sure to set up all of the security function. Netgear routers have a pretty good interface when you go about settings things up. Let me know if you need any help.

Alex

Back