What search engine are you guys using?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a search engine that will return mostly information rather than all sales links. Does such a search engine even exist?

Microsoft "new bing" has yet to have a good monetization strategy in place, probably running with a huge loss by search and why it is quite limited. It look ads free for the moment and will probably be sued left and right

Microsoft "new bing" has yet to have a good monetization strategy in place, probably running with a huge loss by search and why it is quite limited. It look ads free for the moment and will probably be sued left and right

Thanks but I don't think Bing runs on Linux. And even if it did, the last thing I'd do is trust MS.

DDG, or Google incognito.
You do not have less ads in your result if you use google incognito, are do you ?

At least if that mean going into google with the browser in incognito mode, I just google best hdmi cable and I have in the result page a bunch of direct store links, exactly the same has the normal page search.

Thanks but I don't think Bing runs on Linux. And even if it did, the last thing I'd do is trust MS.
I would have assumed it run on anything that would run edge, I am not sure what you mean by trust, what is an paid ads seem quite obvious so trust is not really required, but after a test, they do use bing shop to show you paid link ads.

I use Google through Firefox on my desktop/workstation. With script and ad blockers I do not see ads anywhere - YouTube or otherwise. Except places like [H]ard that are whitelisted.

Google...it gives me the best results although like everyone says you have to weed out the ad's and bullcrap.

Yeah I meant incognito mode, google with adblocks and stuff, but incognito prevents targeted ads later too. You'll get ads and paid ranking, scroll past it to the real rankings. But it won't haunt you later too.

Some non-branded-product searches for coding/tech, Google still gets the best hits unfortunately.

Yeah I meant incognito mode, google with adblocks and stuff, but incognito prevents targeted ads later too. You'll get ads and paid ranking, scroll past it to the real rankings. But it won't haunt you later too.

Some non-branded-product searches for coding/tech, Google still gets the best hits unfortunately.

How do I get into Google incognito mode?

never use any google product.
What's the best alternative? Does it do as good a search as Google?
I mean I'm perma signed in to my Google powered phone so I think there is no saving me at this point? Lol

In my experience, it is by far the best, so if you make money from your search I am not sure how much I would hesitate (I am really not sure what the downside of using google search for an individual).

DuckDuck go use bing and made $100 millions from ads revenues

I mean I'm perma signed in to my Google powered phone so I think there is no saving me at this point? Lol
To late you will be assimilated.

lol, I use duckduckgo and brave. I use the brave browser as well. I try and not use any google products email, web, search......

I've been using DuckDuckGo for years. I abandoned google search because it was obviously trending towards curated results that google wanted you to see instead of just giving you unaltered search results and it has only gotten worse.

Just did a simple google search vs duckduckgo try and i do not get the much better than google

A very simple test, give the reference of a C++ class without a little error in the search term but cannot by mistaken for something else

https://www.google.com/search?q=openSceneGraph+osg::Scene&sxsrf=AJOqlzX7NcnyJOI45GIkj260cWqwmGrLXA:1678398698086&source=hp&ei=6lQKZI21ApHM9APv4JHABQ&iflsig=AK50M_UAAAAAZApi-o1unNb0Pqr9Nca571dzCQPcFASD&ved=0ahUKEwiN0sCx6s_9AhURJn0KHW9wBFgQ4dUDCAo&uact=5&oq=openSceneGraph+osg::Scene&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BwgAEA0QgAQ6BwguEA0QgAQ6BwgjEOoCECc6BAgjECc6BQgAEJECOgsIABCABBCxAxCDAToICAAQgAQQsQM6DgguELEDEIMBEMcBENEDOgQIABBDOhEILhCABBCxAxCDARDHARDRAzoQCC4QsQMQgwEQxwEQ0QMQQzoKCAAQsQMQgwEQQzoFCAAQgAQ6BwgAEIAEEAo6BggAEBYQHlAAWNxEYLZGaAFwAHgAgAGeAYgBvRGSAQQyMC42mAEAoAECoAEBsAEK&sclient=gws-wiz

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=openSceneGraph+osg::Scene&t=h_&ia=web

Clean first result on google right away, even without making the mistake not on the top 5 results on duckduckgo.

Is there really any debate that google is significantly better than any alternative on search ? (if we stay away from political charged topic at least), duckduckgo seem to just be direct bing results which is without a doubt quite inferior to google

Just did a simple google search vs duckduckgo try and i do not get the much better than google

A very simple test, give the reference of a C++ class without a little error in the search term but cannot by mistaken for something else

https://www.google.com/search?q=openSceneGraph+osg::Scene&sxsrf=AJOqlzX7NcnyJOI45GIkj260cWqwmGrLXA:1678398698086&source=hp&ei=6lQKZI21ApHM9APv4JHABQ&iflsig=AK50M_UAAAAAZApi-o1unNb0Pqr9Nca571dzCQPcFASD&ved=0ahUKEwiN0sCx6s_9AhURJn0KHW9wBFgQ4dUDCAo&uact=5&oq=openSceneGraph+osg::Scene&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BwgAEA0QgAQ6BwguEA0QgAQ6BwgjEOoCECc6BAgjECc6BQgAEJECOgsIABCABBCxAxCDAToICAAQgAQQsQM6DgguELEDEIMBEMcBENEDOgQIABBDOhEILhCABBCxAxCDARDHARDRAzoQCC4QsQMQgwEQxwEQ0QMQQzoKCAAQsQMQgwEQQzoFCAAQgAQ6BwgAEIAEEAo6BggAEBYQHlAAWNxEYLZGaAFwAHgAgAGeAYgBvRGSAQQyMC42mAEAoAECoAEBsAEK&sclient=gws-wiz

Clean first result on google right away, even without making the mistake not on the top 5 results on duckduckgo.

Is there really any debate that google is significantly better than any alternative on search ? (if we stay away from political charged topic at least), duckduckgo seem to just be direct bing results which is without a doubt quite inferior to google

I suppose that depends on what you search for.

Still one way to those AI engine get good is using the intelligence of their users (what they end up clicking on relative to what they searched), Google is not only better than others to learn but will have between 30 to 1,000 time the userloop learning feedback than the competition.

It is hard to imagine that there is outthere a company that achieved to be much better at search than Google is, they are quite extraordinary at it.

What would be an example of a search giving much better result than google look like ? I went to bing as a default to access new bing faster and I did not knew just how big that gap was and how much better google is before using something else.

What They're extraordinary at it shoving sales URL's in your face when what you searched for was information. This is why I went looking for another search engine. Google assumes that every damned search is someone looking to buy something. Screw them.

Reactions: Nobu
like this
What They're extraordinary at it shoving sales URL's in your face when what you searched for was information. This is why I went looking for another search engine. Google assumes that every damned search is someone looking to buy something. Screw them.
I do not get any of that with Google. Only search results.

Hopefully, without the spying and manipulation of results. That's what should be tested and compared. I can't believe that anyone would compliment Google in this day and age.

I recently moved to self-hosting a SearXNG instance on an UNRAID system and use that now. It can be configured to pull from all sorts of sources (google, brave, ddg, other private engines, etc), and supposedly does so privately. I don't know how private/secure it is, but it has become my main search engine now.

Prior to that I had been trying out Brave and Startpage

Back