what rom for my epic 4g

bink

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm tired of the stock 2.2 battery hog junk running on my epic 4g. When I do a little research on xda I'm overwhelmed. I'm looking for a recomendations based on how I use the phone on what rom I should try...

I would like minimum bloat. 95% of my usage is browsing. The rest is hanging with friends, and a couple of utility apps. I don't have screens full of apps....just one actually. I do like my clock widget with weather though. What should I try first as I'm a virgin when it comes to roms...when it comes to desktops etc I'm a minimalist!

I'm pretty active over on XDA for the Epic 4G. I'm Electrofreak over there, you'll probably see me post here and there.

The CM7 kang is pretty stable if you can give up 4G until they finally get it working; that would be my recommendation, particularly for a minimalist, because CM7 cuts out a lot of the crap that bogs down phones, and has a lot of theme options for a very clean and custom interface. Otherwise, I'd stick to a ROM by ACS or one of the major developers (look for "Recognized Developer" under their avatar).

Gingerbread ROMs are hot right now but all of them are based off of a leak with random reboot issues, which I believe is due to a memory leak. EH17 is the most recent Gingerbread build, EC05 is the most recent Froyo build, if you need maximum stability.

Drop a PM to Electrofreak over on XDA if you have questions or need any advice. I've spent a lot of time in IRC with some of the devs and spend a lot of time switching between that forum and Hardforum so I should be able to help you out. :)

Epic 4G is a sweet phone, and there are some excellent ROMs out there if you pick carefully.

CM plus Zeam Launcher are my 'minimalist' choices to keep an old OG Droid feeling quick as possible.

Back