What PSU to use!?

asafsarid

Weaksauce
hey, I have 2 PSU's, 300W HEC and 430W Generic.
I checked them with winbond hardware doctor and that what I got:
300W HEC:
Vcc = 2.95
Vio = 3.31
+5V = 5.08
+12V = 12.05
-12V = -12.44
-5V = -5.29
Vsb = 4.99
3.3V Dual = 3.60

430W Generic:
Vcc = 2.95
Vio = 3.23
+5V = 5.00
+12V = 11.90
-12V = -11.95
-5V = -5.05
Vsb = 4.82
3.3V Dual = 3.52

so what will be better for me to use?

It looks to me that the 300 watt's power rails are closer. ATX spec calls for rails to be within 5% of what they are supposed to be so as long as they are within range you should be OK, but I always spend the little extra to get a known good quality power supply.

^ Agreed, although I always suggest getting out the VOM and measuring it rather than relie on software

How can you make a choice based on that information of unknown accuracy? To do so would be as silly as a Florida election count.

But even readings taken with a highly accurage digital voltage meter by themselves aren't enough to decide anything unless a PSU is outright defective. What your really need are measurements taken under known loads, to at least the maximum ratings of the PSUs, and to know the loads you need to know the amps. BTW, don't try to measure amps by connecting an amp meter across the rails because that will just short them.

Originally posted by larrymoencurly
How can you make a choice based on that information of unknown accuracy? To do so would be as silly as a Florida election count.

LOL...So so true...

Just spend the money and get an Antec. I have learned the hard way about cheap PSU.

I just ordered an Antec TrueBlue 480w, I'd advise getting one of these :)

Onboard voltage measurements aren't always all that accurate.
My last 2 boards (Asus CUV4X-D and MSI K7D Master L) both read low on at least the 5V and 12V lines. I haven't bothered checking the 3.3V (No easy access from a drive connector)

MBM: 4.84V, 11.73V
Digital Multimeter: 4.99V, 11.90V

My PSU is an Antec True550

Back