what os do you use?

what operating system do you currently use?

• win3.1 or before

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • win2k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • winxp

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • vista

Votes: 84 48.3%
  • win7

Votes: 40 23.0%
  • mac os

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • linux

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • what is an operating system?

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • other. (please specify)

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters
windows xp.

i will upgrade to vista / windows 7 when i a) want to, and b) can afford it :)

windows xp.

i will upgrade to vista / windows 7 when i a) want to, and b) can afford it :)

Did your vote go on? (or maybe mine didnt)
I voted XP and only 1 vote is registered for XP at this time.
3 votes total, 1 Vista, 1 XP, 1 other (looks like DOS 6.22 :))

OS-X, windows 7, and ubuntu at home
xp at work (duh)

this question doesn't work well as a single choice poll :p

you guys tell me, your main os, your main machine, the main personal machine...;):)

I voted Win7. . . but I have 4 personal machines, and two of them are my "main" I voted Windows 7 because I have it running on all 4 machines, where as OS 10.6 (Build 10A335) is on the iMac and the MBP

Where are multiple choices?
SBS
XPp
XPp
XPp
Vista Ult
Mint Linux
OpenSUSE
PFSense

That's just home

Office...
Vista Biz
XPp
XPp
W7 now 'n then to dork with, guess not much anymore....I'll now wait til it's out.
6x servers runnin 2K3

Windows 7 (7100)

I never thought there was an inprovement worth to go through the install.
Then I did it eventually just for testing purposes, but oh boy ... I have been hit hard and since then I used Vista less & less & less ..

Today there is no alternative for me to Windows 7.

Tri Booted I'm running vista ultima as my primary OS and windows 7 RC1 build 7100 and Ubuntu 9.04

Yeah where are the multiple options...

Vista Ultimate
Vista HP
2008 Standard
XP Pro
Ubuntu
Windows 7

Currently rocking XP Pro x64 on my main rig until Windows 7 is ironed out s'more.

Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop. Runs a bit sluggish, but that's mostly due in part to the slow hard drive (4200 RPM :() and not having 2GB of RAM.

Win XP/Win 2000/ Vista Home Basic @ Home

Win XP/Vista Business/Win 2000/Win 2003 Server/Win NT 4 Server @ Work.

Hmm, I was all for getting 2 x 4 GB for my next system.
But people highlighted that 8 GB would be overkill and I should save the money.

In fact, 2 x 4 GB costing about almsot 4 times what 2 x 2 GB cost, where are the advantages in real life I wonder ?

I'm all for better quality, but 4 times the cost for double the RAM ? ... I'm not sure anymore really.

64-Bit Vista Ultimate on my main system.
Every computer in the house is running a variant of Vista except the file server (FreeNAS).

Running XPSP3 on desktop (1 vote), but also have Vista HP on laptop. All 32-bit. Will upgrade to W7 x64 on desktop when it is out.

XP Pro on my main desktop
XP Home on my secondary media desktop
XP Pro/ Win 7 duel boot on the lappy

I used vista on the lappy for nearly a year, and decided to get rid of it. no regrets

Vista Ult on my desktop.
Vista HP on laptop
Win XP Pro on other machine
WinXP Pro on Media server.

<3 Vista.

I dual boot between Windows 7 and Leopard on my desktop. WHS on my server. Windows 7 on my laptop and HTPC.

Last edited:
Vista x64 on my Gaming Rig
Kubuntu 9.04 x64 (mostly, has Vista x64 on another hard drive for if I want to use it to LAN)
Xubuntu 9.04 on my Laptop (Old P3 Thinkpad)
CentOS 5.3 on my server

XP x64 at home, XP on the work laptop due to some software compatibility issues with x64.

The issues I've had with Vista outweigh all the advantages that I've seen advertised, so I don't really see a reason to move to it. Win7 being "Vista Lite" has me somewhat interested, but I've read about some things that I'm not a fan of. I hate the interface when I use the Server 2008 boxes at work. It may be better once you're used to it, but it seems to go against so much of what I've been doing for the past 15 years.

Linux or BSD + WINE should do pretty much everything I need, so I'd like to give that a shot again.

Windows XP Professional SP3
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP2
Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows XP Pro since I got a "free" retail copy in college. I'll be moving to Windows 7 when it's officially released (but I'll always have my beloved XP).

Lots of vista users. using win 7 here at home. xp at work still. - that's split between different groups of people.

Just converted to Mac after 12 years with Windows. I love it even though I never had problems with Windows. I definitely needed the change. And I always hated how separated Linux was (way to go with 5 million distros)

Laptop: Vista x64
Desktop: XP Pro 32bit
Fileserver: Ubuntu Server x64

So, what poll option should I choose?

Mac OS X 10.5.6 and Windows 7 x64 build 7068 (previously Vista64).

Fuck XP.

Windows 7.

It's fast, stable, and it actually WORKS. Best Windows release since Win98 came out. I never bought Vista. I will most definitely buy Windows 7.

Back