What Mouse and Keyboard Are You Using Right Now?

I've got a few mechs around with mx blue, mx brown, and the speed silver switches, but tend to prefer the laptop style keys. I can type faster on them by about 10wpm and I spend most of my time on phone calls, so the folks I am talking to don't appreciate the keys clicking.

I want to try a wireless mouse to see how it compares to my favorite wired mouse.

Razer Basilisk Ultimate HyperSpeed Wireless Gaming Mouse: Fastest Gaming Mouse Switch - 20K DPI Optical Sensor - Chroma RGB Lighting - 11 Programmable Buttons - 100 Hr Battery - Classic Black https://a.co/d/gaYkkgS

I made sure to buy it from Amazon because there is a strong chance I will return it. It will be a small miracle if I like it, let's see.

Anyone have a Razor Basilisk Ultimate? It's a hundred bucks for that price it better be as my wired MSI mouse is under 40.
I've had the Basilisk V3 Pro wireless for over a year. It's outstanding for work and gaming. I run down the battery to about 75% after a full day of use. It recharges overnight on the magnetic dock. A really cool feature is the scroll wheel. It has a free-scrolling option that makes it easy to scroll quickly through web sites, photos, files, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks like the hyper speed doesn't have the scroll feature
I've had the Basilisk V3 Pro wireless for over a year. It's outstanding for work and gaming. I run down the battery to about 75% after a full day of use. It recharges overnight on the magnetic dock. A really cool feature is the scroll wheel. It has a free-scrolling option that makes it easy to scroll quickly through web sites, photos, files, etc.

And its 20k doi vs 30k dp.

You run down the batter in one full day almost huh?

So their claim of 100 hours isn't accurate I take it? Lol

And can you use it wired if it loses charge mid game? Lol

Since you said it charges wirelessly I wondered...

How big are your hands? Is it comfortable for FPS shooters for hours?

Yeah, battery life on these mice is drastically overstated.

It can be used wired/wirelessly.

My hands are kinda big. It's never uncomfortable using my Basilisk.

Last edited:
Have been using my model f 77 at work after using it at home for a little while and even though I only am in the office 3 days a week the finish is already wearing off. Keep in mind this thing shipped to me in may last year, maybe the industrial grey colour just sucks.

1711395374311.png

Yeah, battery life on these mice is drastically overstated.

It can be used wired/wirelessly.

My hands are kinda big. It's never uncomfortable using my Basilisk.

I turned off the lighting function of my Basilisk over the weekend and the battery drain was a helluva lot better. From Saturday morning until late Sunday night, the battery drained only 18%. (y)

Last edited:
The evolution of my keyboard continues.

I tried a POM plate and didn't like it at all so now I'm rocking a brass plate. Initial switches were Gateron Pro 3.0 Red followed by a set of Gateron Baby Kangaroo 2.0.

After getting two switch testers plus a few more switches for a total of 75 different switches I quickly narrowed down to the switches I received today Kailh Box Summer. The sound is awesome and they are fantastic to type on. They are way more noisy than say Kail Box Navy but nowhere near as heavy. I also tried a Clickez 40g but too heavy to type on and not as pleasing sound as the Box Summers.

Here is an action shot during the install.

Next week I should get some nice retro SA profile keycaps to try out, it will be very interesting to see how they will feel to type on, and if they will enhance the sound even further.

View attachment 641116
An update to my post above. The retro SA keycaps arrived and shortly after got returned. The colour scheme didn't work at all with the silver Q8, probably because the Q8 is a hint of blue and the key caps were in some beige/green/brownish tones.

However, it wasn't the colour that made me return them. The sound and feel was plain wrong, I will not entertain SA profile again. The typing didn't feel right especially with the ski slope of the top row, and the sound, my god, the crispy loud click of the Box Summer click bars got muffled to hell and back.

So the Keychron PBT caps are back on.

This morning I got a reminder email to review some o-rings I ordered a while ago to try out with some Gateron Melodic to isolate the spring leaf click from the bottoming out sound. Well lets just say that didn't work out as the click sound was very weak. However in the spur of the moment I added a few of the o-rings to this keyboard and WOAH, this was a match made in heaven for the Box Summers. What a sound. I quickly got the o-rings onto every key and as it stands now I think I have found my end game sound signature. It is so loud but no added noise from bottoming out the keys.

Mashie is a very happy camper!

I turned off the lighting function of my Basilisk over the weekend and the battery drain was a helluva lot better. From Saturday morning until late Sunday night, the battery drained only 18%. (y)
So I ordered another Basilisk Ultimate from ebay for 50 shipped and it came in. Surprisingly you cannot use a different mouse with a different USB receiver.

I was planning on using one mouse with 2 receivers plugged into both rigs but seemingly each receiver is tied to each mouse necessitating a mouse and receiver to be mated to each other. So how would i ever buy a replacement receiver?

That's weird. What has your experience been with razor mice and their usb dongle receivers? Is each one mated to its mouse? Or are they interchangeable?

So I ordered another Basilisk Ultimate from ebay for 50 shipped and it came in. Surprisingly you cannot use a different mouse with a different USB receiver.

I was planning on using one mouse with 2 receivers plugged into both rigs but seemingly each receiver is tied to each mouse necessitating a mouse and receiver to be mated to each other. So how would i ever buy a replacement receiver?

That's weird. What has your experience been with razor mice and their usb dongle receivers? Is each one mated to its mouse? Or are they interchangeable?
Afraid I can't help you on this. I've never tried using a single wireless mouse with multiple receivers.

Yep, Logi tried that BS back in the day, even going so far as to require yet another, separate receiver if you had one of their KB's and one of their mice...

The backlash from users was swift and very harsh (this was back when most rigs only had 2-3 USB ports), so much so that they came up with the "Unifying receiver" thingy shortly thereafter. However, I could never get them to work properly either, unless I also installed 2 of their softwarez (which at the time was better than most others) so I just switched to bluetooth periphs and haven't looked back since :)

Yep, Logi tried that BS back in the day, even going so far as to require yet another, separate receiver if you had one of their KB's and one of their mice...

The backlash from users was swift and very harsh (this was back when most rigs only had 2-3 USB ports), so much so that they came up with the "Unifying receiver" thingy shortly thereafter. However, I could never get them to work properly either, unless I also installed 2 of their softwarez (which at the time was better than most others) so I just switched to bluetooth periphs and haven't looked back since :)

So after fiddling around with the basilisk ultimate mice and synapse software I've found that only one mouse is allowed to be paired at one time.

In other words as far as I know you need one receiver per one device. Similar to a wired USB powered peripheral still one per device just wireless.

It's going to be interesting when the wireless Black widow keyboard comes in and needs its own USB receiver.

I had all intentions of unifying both rigs with one set of keyboard and mouse. Looks like my aspirations are going to be shattered. Again ending up with 2 mice, and 2 keyboards on the desk. All my efforts....washed away.... 😮‍💨

I’m on a drunkdeer a75 with a g pro super light 2. I really like the magnetic switches. They take some getting used to, but they’re really nice.

I’m on a drunkdeer a75 with a g pro super light 2. I really like the magnetic switches. They take some getting used to, but they’re really nice.
My next keyboard will be one with magnetic switches. I tried the Steelseries Apex Pro TKL, last year. Loved the magnetic switches, but build quality was disappointing. It bricked in less than 3 weeks. The Keychron Q1 HE probably will be the one to get unless Corsair releases a TKL version.

My next keyboard will be one with magnetic switches. I tried the Steelseries Apex Pro TKL, last year. Loved the magnetic switches, but build quality was disappointing. It bricked in less than 3 weeks. The Keychron Q1 HE probably will be the one to get unless Corsair releases a TKL version.

My steel series apex 3 TKL keyboard bricked in 3 months. I don't even want a warranty exchange I'm not wasting my time filling out the info or dealing with shipping just taking the L and never getting another steelseries product again lol.

Does your scroll wheel button work for you? Mine does not and have seen others with the same issue. I do miss that as I use that in games and also while in a browser.

Does your scroll wheel button work for you? Mine does not and have seen others with the same issue. I do miss that as I use that in games and also while in a browser.
If you meant the button that switches from free to incremental scrolling, then yes, mine works fine. I hadn't heard about it being a problem. Hope it doesn't happen to mine. I've gotten kinda addicted to it.

If you meant the button that switches from free to incremental scrolling, then yes, mine works fine. I hadn't heard about it being a problem. Hope it doesn't happen to mine. I've gotten kinda addicted to it.
Not that one. I think you're talking about the actual button and not the actual scroll wheel. Click down on the scroll wheel, I use it to throw grenades in games.

Not that one. I think you're talking about the actual button and not the actual scroll wheel. Click down on the scroll wheel, I use it to throw grenades in games.
Hmmm... I wasn't aware of that particular function of the scroll wheel.

REALLY Maxx ?? you've been here long enough to earn the Supreme title with 7300 posts, so how can not have heard of this before ??

Me No comprende :D

Even my 8 yr old MX Master's have it, and I use it frequently when scrolling/searching thru really long pdf's....

I think that I just found a workaround for it. I just made the left scroll wheel push to be my scroll click function. Tested it in Borderlands GOTY Enhanced and Sniper Elite 5 and it works. Also works in browser.

I just scoll with the scroll wheel. Up, down, fast, incremental... that's all I need from my scroll wheel.

Scroll click is generally called "middle-click" or "button 3" in old computer language. It used to be a separate button. ;)
I know what it's called, I was just using what Razer's most awesome synapse software calls it.

I just scoll with the scroll wheel. Up, down, fast, incremental... that's all I need from my scroll wheel.
No problem with that, I just got used to having it in games. lol

Reactions: Nobu
like this
REALLY Maxx ?? you've been here long enough to earn the Supreme title with 7300 posts, so how can not have heard of this before ??

Me No comprende :D

Even my 8 yr old MX Master's have it, and I use it frequently when scrolling/searching thru really long pdf's....
Pressing/clicking the scroll wheel as a button has been middle-click for ages and eons. There is no way anyone who has used a computer mouse for the past 2+ decades doesn't know about it.

When well executed it’s a handy extra button that I often forget about unless it’s pre-mapped in a game. I never use it when browsing since I find it mostly sucks as the page can end up scrolling much too quickly and I have better control over the page by just using the scroll wheel or even PgUp/PgDn/Home/End.

It also kinda sucks on mice with a really stiff MMB, or one that’s prone to scrolling the wheel up or down when the scroll wheel/MMB is pressed. Then you end up switching weapons when trying to melee or “use” or cast/throw or whatever you’ve assigned to it.

When well executed it’s a handy extra button that I often forget about unless it’s pre-mapped in a game. I never use it when browsing since I find it mostly sucks as the page can end up scrolling much too quickly and I have better control over the page by just using the scroll wheel or even PgUp/PgDn/Home/End.

It also kinda sucks on mice with a really stiff MMB, or one that’s prone to scrolling the wheel up or down when the scroll wheel/MMB is pressed. Then you end up switching weapons when trying to melee or “use” or cast/throw or whatever you’ve assigned to it.

I use it in the browser to click on links to open in a new tab.

My steel series apex 3 TKL keyboard bricked in 3 months. I don't even want a warranty exchange I'm not wasting my time filling out the info or dealing with shipping just taking the L and never getting another SteelSeries product again lol.
I'm going to correct myself because I could possibly be full of shit lol.

Turns out USB power savings settings in the power options menu defaults to enable so when I just disabled it the keyboard works now. Be careful about those settings it's enabled by default in the windows power settings menu. Can't believe that.

Turns out USB power savings settings in the power options menu defaults to enable so when I just disabled it the keyboard works now. Be careful about those settings it's enabled by default in the windows power settings menu. Can't believe that.
Well, I hate to repeat myself, but this has been common knowledge for many many years....so I'm not sure why anyone who's been around here for a while would not know about it :D

It's definitely been on my list of top 20 things to do immediately after installing the OS & rebooting the 1st time since way back....

Well, I hate to repeat myself, but this has been common knowledge for many many years....so I'm not sure why anyone who's been around here for a while would not know about it :D

It's definitely been on my list of top 20 things to do immediately after installing the OS & rebooting the 1st time since way back....

Interesting. I've never run into this issue. Does it follow any of the power plans? Like if I set the entire system to the "high performance" power plan (or whatever they call it), maybe the USB power savings setting is disabled as well?

I usually do that since my Windows install is dedicated to games (I use Linux for everything else) so I can hyper-optimize it for performing the best it possibly can without having to worry about it impacting anything else I do.

I've actually come to appreciate this arrangement so much that even if I didn't use Linux I'd still probably dual boot two windows instances and do the same thing. Having one of them set up for work and general desktop use, and the other hyper-optimized for the most performance at any cost.

I actually did this for a short while ~20 years ago. I got sick of Windows ME constantly blue screening, so I reverted to Windows 98 SE which was great for games, but not quite as stable as I liked it for my work (college essays, Pro/Engineer and AutoCad, Excel, general browsing, etc.) so I installed Windows 2000 for productivity, and kept 98SE stripping it down and hyper-optimizing it for the most possible performance in Counter-Strike :p

It was pretty great to - in 2001 - when most people were pursuing 1024x768@60hz be blasting away at 1600x1200@100hz vsynced and never dropping below 100fps. In retrospect that might help explain part of why I was really good back then. I've never had the "fast twitchy" motor skills. It helped having a top of the line GeForce 3 TI500 and the crazy 80lb Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 510 that curved my poor college desk with its excessive weight.

That monitor actually supported up to 2048X1536, but I stopped at 1600x1200. I can't remember why. I didn't think it was performance, as I would happily have sacrificed some of that 100+ fps performance for better graphics back then. I was still solidly in the "you never need above 60fps" camp in those days. It might just have been that the in game fonts were illegibly small at resolutions above 1600x1200 on a 22" CRT monitor.

Anyway, that was a fun little diversion. Back to keyboards and mice :p

So how about that USB power saving feature, is it indeed disabled if you just change the overall power settings to "high performance"? Otherwise I wonder why I have never had an issue with this, as I don't recall ever intentionally changing USB power settings.

I'll keep using the keyboard to see if the USB disable in the power settings fixes the issue.
Because it does this on both of the same keyboards apex TKL mini I have both that way I'll know it's not a hardware defect but a software issue.

logitech g pro wireless (~2022 model)
keychron v6 max

pretty close to my ideal out of everything i've tried over the past decade or so. my only wish is that i could transfer all the internals of a g pro over to a ms intellimouse optical 1.1a, because that's still BY FAR the most comfortable mouse i have ever used.

I'll keep using the keyboard to see if the USB disable in the power settings fixes the issue.
Because it does this on both of the same keyboards apex TKL mini I have both that way I'll know it's not a hardware defect but a software issue.

-----WARNING!!!---

Upon further research I have gathered that the

!!!STEELSERIES APEX 3 TKL RGB GAMING
KEYBOARD IS DEFECTIVE DO NOT BUY THIS PLEASE WARNING!!!

Stay away from SteelSeries Prodcuts it is documented on several posts by users that their hardware/software is defective and
there is no solution. Not all but some of their keyboard disconnect randomly needing to reattach they cable.

I repeat there is 6-year-old posts updated lately with still no solution.

This was driving me nuts for months as I thought it was the cable extension i was using but doing more research it is the keyboards fault no solution very disappointing.

I got rid of both of these keyboards to the electronic recycling pile done with SteelSeries never purchase SteelSeries you have been warned you will get burned.

^^ True dat! I learned the hard way by going through 2 Apex Pro TKL in less than a year.

Trying the new Asus ROG Falchion low profile keyboard for my MB Air. Wireless works flawlessly, unlike the Keychron, Nuphy, and Logitech boards I've tried.

PXL_20240407_195223621.jpg

-----WARNING!!!---

Upon further research I have gathered that the

!!!STEELSERIES APEX 3 TKL RGB GAMING
KEYBOARD IS DEFECTIVE DO NOT BUY THIS PLEASE WARNING!!!

Stay away from SteelSeries Prodcuts it is documented on several posts by users that their hardware/software is defective and
there is no solution. Not all but some of their keyboard disconnect randomly needing to reattach they cable.

I repeat there is 6-year-old posts updated lately with still no solution.

This was driving me nuts for months as I thought it was the cable extension i was using but doing more research it is the keyboards fault no solution very disappointing.

I got rid of both of these keyboards to the electronic recycling pile done with SteelSeries never purchase SteelSeries you have been warned you will get burned.
So I gather changing the power saving setting did not resolve the problem?

Back