What might you buy in the next couple months?

What solution would you buy in the next couple months?

• Total voters
I don't plan on buying a PPU or SLI video cards any time in the near future.

I am a 1 card man. I'll get a PPU as soon as they integrate it onto the graphics card.

Id rather see the money go to the gameplay and storyline, not GPU-melting graphics. Personally it doesnt bother me to see ragged edges, boxy looking wheels on cars, or terrain that looks like it was made out of big laminated floor-tiles.

May but a physics card later on (like 3+years), right now I just dont see it as a worthwhile investment into my PC. Sorta like those damn PCI-X slots in my mobo. Sure their faster, smaller, etc etc. But whats the use?

Going to see how it pans out...

PPU is about £220 for the UK

Same GPU as what I have now would be about £300 + I'd need an SLI Motherbaord, probably about £100 for a good one.

While I might be able to use the extra video card for other games to increase video quality, I already play all my games in max settings with TSAA and AF usualy 1280 960 or above.

Single GPU solutions for physics seems like a waste of time, it just means dropping visual settings.

PPU expensive as it is, seems like the smart thing to do, probably look into getting one when the prices drop and I have some money, in about a month or so.

bob said:
Id rather see the money go to the gameplay and storyline, not GPU-melting graphics. Personally it doesnt bother me to see ragged edges, boxy looking wheels on cars, or terrain that looks like it was made out of big laminated floor-tiles.

May but a physics card later on (like 3+years), right now I just dont see it as a worthwhile investment into my PC. Sorta like those damn PCI-X slots in my mobo. Sure their faster, smaller, etc etc. But whats the use?

A PPU is all ABOUT gameplay... it opens up both eye candy AND gameplay possibilities :). That is the main reason I am excited about it... not because of the OOOOH AHHHHH eye-candy, but the gameplay it could open up (think of a fantasy MMORPG as a good example!) :).

I voted that I may buy an Ageia PPU in the next couple of months.

Im going to stay with SLI for now.
Once I see some of the games and what the PPU is able to do, Im sure I'll like it and pick one up.
I wish they could take advantage of the PCI-E 1x slot I've got. My case is getting full! :eek:

magoo said:
Im going to stay with SLI for now.
Once I see some of the games and what the PPU is able to do, Im sure I'll like it and pick one up.
I wish they could take advantage of the PCI-E 1x slot I've got. My case is getting full! :eek:

Here I agree. In fact the "prototype" that was imaged earlier in the year showed a PCI adapter on one side and a PCIe x1 on the other side, you just flipped for the bus used. Guess the IHV's decided to just do PCI for now so as to have a larger market.

Eventually I suspect you'll see the x1 cards for the more discerning crowd.

Back