What kind of technology is this????

zyon

n00b
Is anyone familiar with undosoft? I saw a demo of the product and I was truly amazed. I have never seen a recovery system perform so fast! The hard disk was about 80% full. The person doing the demo deleted everything on the disk, copied several CDs to over write the previous contents, then deleted everything again, and restored the original disk in about 5 seconds. What kind of technology is this?

We have something similar installed in the University database labs (though the name eludes me). From what I can tell, it basically keeps track of file system changes in a big file somewhere instead of actually modifying the files. In our setup, all you have to do is reboot the PC and it is back to its default state. This is kind of nice, since the previous way of doing it (which I was lucky enough to experience as a labbie) was to run around the lab with a stack of floppies and ghost from the spare HD to the primary (yes, they had 2 drives to make this fast) before and after every class.

Originally posted by Zuht
We have something similar installed in the University database labs (though the name eludes me). From what I can tell, it basically keeps track of file system changes in a big file somewhere instead of actually modifying the files. In our setup, all you have to do is reboot the PC and it is back to its default state. This is kind of nice, since the previous way of doing it (which I was lucky enough to experience as a labbie) was to run around the lab with a stack of floppies and ghost from the spare HD to the primary (yes, they had 2 drives to make this fast) before and after every class.

DeepFreeze? Gotta love it. Let the monkeys savage it all they want, then reboot and all the feces is gone.

Thanks for you response, I am familiar with those programs and you are right. But this undosoft thing is really confusing. I tried it myself I deleted as much of XP as I could even a few files that should stop XP from booting. With XP still running I made 40 folders numbered them from 1 to 40. I copied a 400 meg CD the folder 1 them copied the contents of folder 1 to the other 39 folders which is more than 50% of my 20 gig drive. I rebooted the computer XP rebuilt the necessary files and the computer rebooted. So I know that the disk was almost full. Then I activated the undosoft thing the system rebooted and all the original files were back in about 5 seconds the system was not missing anything! What is going on? How is this is possible?

Now you see why I am confused!

Z

Back