What kind of PSU should I buy?

Bad Goat

Limp Gawd
I have been looking at the Antec TrueBlu 480W PSU on NewEgg.

Would anyone recommend a different PSU that is comparable in price? Just trying to get the best I can get for the price.

Thanks

Click the review link in the first post here, its not written in english but the graphs speak for themselves. The rest of the thread has a lot of pertinent info as well.

I'm willing to bet you'll end up buying the TrueBlue 480 ;)

i dont know about others but i had a TrueBlue die on me in the past and i only trust the True Series
the old TrueBlu one i had blew up one morning when i went to power up the PC...not good :eek:

Originally posted by ST|FFY
i dont know about others but i had a TrueBlue die on me in the past and i only trust the True Series
the old TrueBlu one i had blew up one morning when i went to power up the PC...not good :eek:
The True & TrueBlu are exactly the same with the exception of two LED fans, you just got a bad unit the first time ;)

....don't rule out the Thermaltake supplies. They are damn good, do what they say they will, and are very reliable. I use one, and would buy another. The supply I have is about $49.00 shipped from the egg and it's a dandy.

FWIW - B.B.S.

If a full-tower or server, then get Enermax. If not, then Antec. There are some others like Sparkle, Thermaltake that others say are great as well (and the insanely-priced PC Power & Cooling), but I know nothing about these.

BlindedbyScience: I took a look at the ThermalTakes and noticed on the 12V rail the output never gets over 18A...I noticed on the Antecs that is higher? This make a big difference?

Originally posted by Bad Goat
BlindedbyScience: I took a look at the ThermalTakes and noticed on the 12V rail the output never gets over 18A...I noticed on the Antecs that is higher? This make a big difference?
...depends on how many hard drives and other +12 loads you have. I'm running the system in my sig (added a second WD HD since then) with no issues at all; rails are on the money, under load. I think for a "desktop" system it's a dandy, but maybe for a 6 drive RAID5 array.....there are better choices. Maybe. The Tt is a real solid piece of hardware, IMHO.....

Regards - B.B.S.

Sckrew the best you can get for the price, just get the best you can get... never skimp on a PSU. It's probably the cause for 50% of all computer problems i see on this board.

After reading the link you provided me and reading this...

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1774

That AnandTech PSU review is useless junk, just like their subsequent one. They published their only decent PSU review four years ago: www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1128

The graphs from the Japanese review span a range of just 2%. But how can 2% deviations matter much when the +12V is used mostly for fan and disk drive motors, which don't need highly accurate voltage, and the CPU voltage regulator, which reduces variations to virtually nothing? And then there are all the capacitors on the mobo that smooth out brief voltage changes. IOW, what's all the fuss about?

the +12V is used mostly for fan and disk drive motors

Not so anymore. Most recent motherboards use the +12v rail to power the CPU. Hence, power hungry CPUs like the P4 and on "overclocker" AMD boards, the extra 2 +12v wires are needed because the 1 +12v wire on the ATX connector doesn't provide enough juice for the CPU. The +12v wire on the ATX connector is also a smaller gauge, IIRC, and per the Case Mod FAQ, 20 gauge wire is rated to 13A, so yeah if more power was needed then that to keep the wire from overheating, i'd say that there was considerable draw on the +12v besides fans and motors.

Back