What is up with this?

nst6563

2[H]4U
I'll try to sum this up without too many words. :D not sure will happen the way I want though...
I've taken a few pictures like these : (resized to 1024x768. taken with a Canon Rebel XT)

I have an HP 7660 Photoprinter. Print quality itself is very good. I'm quite pleased with it.
The problem I'm having is with printing these photos on 4x6 paper borderless. The printer, or software (Adobe Photoshop...come to think of it...I haven't tried using any other software to print it..hmmmm....) crops the image when printing borderless. Almost like the overscan on a TV....there's information missing...and it's pissing me off.

The pic below kind of shows what is cropped off, possibly even more is missing than what I guestimated the square with.

Now...I've tried all kinds of things...resizing the image to doesn't work, chosing a 4x6 NON-borderless print shows all the image, however with a white boarder around the entire thing. What I'm wanting is a true borderless print with none of the picture missing.

Is it my printer that's doing this? Or the software?

I was also looking at a better printer...the Canon Pixma i6700D. Anyone have any experience with this one? Or maybe a better one?

EDIT:

Hmmm... I have an HP Photosmart 2575 printer, that does borderless photos, and I never really noticed before. I've only printed 2 or 3 pictures, but after just taking it look it does indeed look like it's cropped off a tiny bit of the photo, on all sides. Not a whole lot, but you can tell.

I printed my photos by right clicking the file I wanted to print, and selecting "Print" from the options, and then going through all the settings in the Window's "Photo Printing Wizard." I wonder if this is just something that happens with HP printers. I've never done borderless printing with anything but this.

hmmm...haven't just tried the right-click print either.

I know all about the print options...been in and out of those so many times I have it all memorized.

The thing about the cropping that is getting on my nerves is that some of the pictures have text on them or I just want the ENTIRE picture printed...and this cropping that's going on is cutting those out.

From my experience, this is normal with borderless printing. I believe it is due to variations in both the printers and the paper. It is done to avoid leaving uprinted edges on the paper. My dad's Canon i9900 does the same thing. The best solution I can offer if to buy larger paper, and cut the photos out on your own.

If anyone else know for sure, feel free to correct me.

another solution is to add your own borders with the computer and print borderless, in such a way that the cropped off parts of the print are the fake borders that you added...

slightlyawesome said:
another solution is to add your own borders with the computer and print borderless, in such a way that the cropped off parts of the print are the fake borders that you added...

This is basically what I ended up doing. It's a mess though. What I had to do was resize the picture (landscape) to 3.75 x 5.625, then expand the Canvas Size to 3.9 x 5.9 with the anchor to the left. Then cut the picture out, re-paste it back in and move it .053 inches to right from the far left. This produces an absolutely perfect borderless picture which contains ALL the picture :D (although it took me roughly 40 drafts to find the magic settings)

It's a little different in Portrait mode, but the same basic principle applies.

I ended up making a custom Action to do it all for me. That way all I have to do is load up the picture, run the action, hit print ;)

I'm looking to get a Canon IP6700D in the near future...is the Pro9000 worth the extra money over the IP6700D?? I haven't seen too many reviews of them...much less anyplace that sells them. Newegg has the IP6700D...but not the Pro series.

My epson R300 requires me opening the print properties dialog and specifying "borderless printing" - I just cant do it from any application. Sounds lame, but its easily overlooked. have you checked there?

yes, and that's precisely my problem. Borderless printing apparently works the same way as the NTSC television standard. A certain percentage is "cropped" from the picture on the final output.

Try it with your printer. Print a photograph on a 4x6 borderless. Then, compare it to the source photograph. You'll see what I'm talking about and if it's anything like the HP's and Canon's, you'll be missing about what I've outlined in one of my pics above. A good pic to use for such comparison is one like the spiderweb above. The webbing serves as a very good reference.

Some people don't mind it, however I find it infinately annoying as I do have some pictures that require the FULL photo to be printed on a borderless 4x6 or 8x10.

Back