What is the proper way to "re-paste" a laptop CPU?

Format _C:

2[H]4U
I got a second hand Dell Latitude 5590 and the CPU regularly reaches the TJMAX of 212°F!:eek:

I bought some Arctic MX-6 and I attempted to re-paste it (I covered both dies but not the whole CPU) so I don't know if that is the correct way to do a laptop chip with two separate dies on a common substrate?

It runs a little cooler now but not by much one core still reaches the TJMAX but not all four like before so I don't think I did this right or did I?

The CPU in question is an Intel Core i5-8350U

The CPU is four core eight threads and has an integrated video card oops excuse me GPU LoL

So please let me know if I did this right or if I should do it again and what the correct way is to apply thermal paste to a laptop CPU as this was my first time doing a BGA (soldered) laptop CPU

Thank You in advance

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
pull it off and see how it looked, maybe add a bit more. cant really have too much.

OK to spread the paste with a gloved hand?
I used my bare fingers last time which is probably why the temps are still high?

Or could be that you just lost the silicon lottery with that particular CPU.

I'd pull it off again and look at your paste distribution. If it looks like it was pasted well, then your CPU is just a hot one. If there is room for paste improvement, then re-paste it.

not enough paste
Yes this was the case for me this time as didn't want to use too much here, however the heatsink hardly had any paste on it when I took it off the second time!
I guess this is solved and lesson learned on how to paste laptop CPU/Video card (Excuse me I mean GPU LoL!) combo chips (at least that is what I think the second die is??)

Back