What is the New 2005FPW?

Limp Gawd
When the Dell 2005FPW was very popular years ago, I bought one somewhere in the $300 range. I'm glad I did. It's still my main monitor.

I'm a helpdesk/network/system admin at work, so I have access to spare equipment and such. I was using the previous CEO's Planar PX2411MW for a while just because it was sitting there unused. For my purposes at work, that monitor is huge. I had no complaints about it, but I wanted to give one of the newer spare LED backlit monitors a shot. My reasoning is I'm one of only two IT guys in my company, and we need to be in the know about new tech. What better than to use a cheap Acer LED monitor for a couple weeks so I have an impression?

At first, I didn't like it. It seemed like a cheap monitor and not too high quality. I had to make major calibration changes. After I did that, it looked much better. I wasn't used to how powerful the colors looked. This was all day one. I decided I'd live with it for a while to see if it grew on me. Well, it has, to a degree. Since I started using this LED monitor at work a few weeks ago, I have not experienced an eye strain headache. I would normally get those every now and then, depending on how much I walk away from my cubicle each day. I played hours of PC games at home on my 2005FPW last weekend (4-day weekend for the holiday). One of the days, I played six hours straight with only short breaks. I got a terrible eye strain headache that would not go away despite getting off the computer. I hate when that happens. I decided that day my next monitor at home would be backlit by LED.

What I'm trying to find is the modern day's 2005FPW, meaning the default monitor gamers recommend to other gamers. The only additional requirement I have is it needs to be LED flavor.

I am not a fan of the cheap Acers we have at work. They're OK for work, but not for my home. The image clarity doesn't match my monitor at home and there is terrible bleeding along the edge since this one happens to be one of the ultra slim ones that have the LEDs along the edge.

Knowing all the background now, and trying to stay below, let's say, $400, which direction should I be looking? I see Asus monitors are rated very well on Newegg. They had 8 of the top 10 monitors when I sorted my results by rating. But I'm still skeptical. Is Asus really the best bang for the gamer's buck these days? Or should I look to Dell, NEC, Samsung, Sceptre, etc.? (Generally, I dislike Samsung for being what I feel is the mainstream giant. Bad reason, I know... but I just don't like to follow the crowd.)

Dell U2412M meets your criteria, 24" 1920x1200 IPS/LED, I think. It's pretty popular, but I have never used one myself (I have its older PVA/CCFL brother, the 2408wfp)

Back