What is the difference between...

dlenart

Weaksauce
<ol>
<li>AMD 4200 X-2 @2.2 GHZ</li>

<p> -or-</p>

<li>Pentium D 830 smithfield @3.0</li>
</ol>

<p>Besides the fact that the AMD is about $50 more expensive? Performance wise is there a big difference?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>
:confused:

Edit: Sorry for all the tags. I thought this was HTML compatible.

If you aren"t going to overclock the X2-4200 will be much better (as well as the X2-3800) then the Intel 930.
If you are going to overclock then its a toss up there hasn't been any real test to say which one will win just a lot of speculation

830 smithfield will be slower and run much hotter.

the 4200 should beat it easily stock vs stock or overclocked vs overclocked.

I don't know why you'd get an 830 when the 920's are cheaper and any motherboard that supports an 830 will support a 920 (though it might need a BIOS upgrade) And the 920 has more cache, and they overclock like crazy. most hit around 4Ghz on air.

chrisf6969 said:
830 smithfield will be slower and run much hotter.

the 4200 should beat it easily stock vs stock or overclocked vs overclocked.

I don't know why you'd get an 830 when the 920's are cheaper and any motherboard that supports an 830 will support a 920 (though it might need a BIOS upgrade) And the 920 has more cache, and they overclock like crazy. most hit around 4Ghz on air.

I don't know either...Probably cuz I haven't been looking at processors since I bought my Northwood two years ago... I thought a Pentium D was a Pentium D....But now I see there are 800 series and 900 series... So is the 800 series just an older version of the Pentium D or is it like a value brand Pentium D compared to the 900series?

Thanks for info...Is it me or does finding and understand an Intel chip seem much more complicated than finding an AMD?

mrweasel said:
800 series: old and busted, 90mm
900 series: new hotness, 65mm

800's, 2 x 1mb cache, 90nm old HOTness - literally very hot
900's, 2 x 2mb cache, 65nm new COOLness - run much cooler, and overclock much higher easier

Back