What is the current 27" ips/ahva 4K screen to get?

xorbe

Supreme [H]ardness
Seems like Asus PG27AQ and Acer XB271HK are a bit long in the tooth at this point, and the Acer is fugly to me. So ignoring g-sync then, what are the recent desirable 27" 4K screens? Or do I just grab the Asus. Or LG 27UD68P (69P?). Or Dell U2718Q? It's like there's no clear choice after a couple hours of digging. I need height adjustment which complicates things. Not looking for HDR. Not looking to spend $2K on pre-release quality hardware. Cost is not the issue.

Last edited:
Grabbed a boring LG 27UD69P (4K 27") for $369, it seems decent enough. Has height, tilt, and pivot adjustments. Came with some sort of gamma / color temp / delta / gray step calibration measurement sheet.

According to the rumor mill supposedly more are coming out Q3 and Q4 this year. If so I'd guess end of Q3 or beginning of Q4 so they are out in time for the holidays. I'm waiting to see what happens then.

I have Acer XB271HK and it is awesome monitor... at least for NV GPUs

Time on market doesn't matter because panel tech didn't improve at all and panels used in these G-Sync monitors are pretty good as is default out of the box calibration
default.jpg

Since you bought Freesync monitor you need to change GPU to AMD or you are missing on VRR which is the best thing which happened to gaming world since 3dfx Voodoo...

I wanted to get 27" 4k monitor since it's so exciting. The only problem is that there are really not many reviews and people are not buying them too much yet, so it's all shooting in the dark.
That Acer XoR_ is posting about is fine except it uses older 4k panel than monitors now available (not sure how is contrast) and it have hdmi 1.4.... so no 60fps on 4k consoles if that will ever be an option.

And the main thing that for now stopped me from going glorious 4k is lack of integer scaling in nvidia or amd drivers or monitor software. 1080p will always look bad and stretched sadly

Some older panels are better than new ones eg. LM240WU5-SLA1 is the best 1920x1200 panel and it was made 8 years ago
Not sure what panels these LG models use, maybe something from LG? These might be better but might as well be worse.
Being never does not guarantee anything really...

Contrast of this Acer is 1000:1 as measured by TFT Central and few other places

HDMI is not very strong point of these 60Hz 4K G-Sync monitors...
At least VRR works on GeForce :ROFLMAO:

Since you bought Freesync monitor you need to change GPU to AMD or you are missing on VRR which is the best thing which happened to gaming world since 3dfx Voodoo...

Yeah I'll be hanging out with this cheap freesync 4K + 1080FE until I see something I want to throw money down for. I still have my Acer XB270HU (144Hz 2560 gsync) if I want to revert. The plan is 1180 and something gsync again. Might just hang out until non-HDR 4K screens arrive. Even 90Hz gsync 4K would be okay, a solid 60 to 90 is good, even if it's not 100-165Hz bliss. I kind of wanted to try a cheap 27" 4K screen before spending big money. I think I might wait for 32" models. 27" is usable but a little small at 100% scaling (sorry but I like large number of pixels!) 150% scaling is same as 2560, I'll check what 125% is like, but I really prefer 100% for "maximum real estate".

Last edited:
in your case I would stick to XB270HU then and use 4K monitor as secondary monitor
I overclocked my Acer XB271HK to 62Hz at 2160 lines and 65Hz at 2075 at 2075 and mostly use the latter resolution with RTSS set at 60fps for games on my underpowered 980Ti
60fps G-Sync is adequate but for gaming I wish I rather had your Acer instead and if I had both I would not really bother to use it for gaming or even bother to get 4K monitor with G-Sync :)
and especially having QHD with 144Hz G-Sync vs. 60Hz non-G-Sync I doubt you will bother gaming on the latter :ROFLMAO:

as for scaling if your eyes are good then imho should not bother with any windows scaling at all and set it to 100%
many programs are just bilinear filtered and others which would really use it like web browsers, editors, etc. have their own scaling for working area
all windows scaling does compared to normal built-in zoom functionality is giving you is bigger toolbars which is useless as trend today is to make everything uselessly oversized anyway

besides to read text comfortably you do not need to see much details anyway. It is all about properly focusing eyes (by never trying to do it yourself and allowing eyes to see sharp image by themselves!) and reconstructing image using all available cues you get from eyes. People tend to 'manually' focus and tense their eyes to see some specific detail and because of that their sight get worse over time. All eye controlling and even object decoding including reading words should be done by your brain and if you do it like that not only your eyes won't ever be tired but sight will improve. If your sight did not improve during last few years then you are doing it wrong. Sight should improve constantly and never listen to anyone who says otherwise, even yourself if you have fallen victim to this notion that sight only deteriorates and you already know how to see.

For me 4K at 27" at 100% is great 'training' opportunity and I can read this site just fine at meter away at 100% :cool:

Back