What is the best software firewall?

This is a massively open-ended question. It depends what you want to do with your firewall, just simple rule-based blocking such as "If connection to port X, drop it", etc. - or more complex ones like deep packet inspection to drop packets with certain payloads (such as those with the Code Red worm), or ones that do Quality of Service filtering.

If I have the need to run a firewall on my Windows machine, the XP firewall is sufficient. However, I run an OpenBSD machine as my gateway that runs the OpenBSD pf firewall/packet filter and that handles all of my security needs.

UMCPWintermute said:
This is a massively open-ended question. It depends what you want to do with your firewall, just simple rule-based blocking such as "If connection to port X, drop it", etc. - or more complex ones like deep packet inspection to drop packets with certain payloads (such as those with the Code Red worm), or ones that do Quality of Service filtering.

If I have the need to run a firewall on my Windows machine, the XP firewall is sufficient. However, I run an OpenBSD machine as my gateway that runs the OpenBSD pf firewall/packet filter and that handles all of my security needs.

Cue crossover with the firewall/router discussion threads.
(I use a computer with Monowall; Basically a stripped FreeBSD with ipfw and a web interface. I also keep the windows firewall up, just in case.)

Microsoft ISA 2004 (Internet Security and Acceleration) is danged robust and powerful. But you're probably talking about "Best software for the average home user",,,,,

As the question (Best Software Firewall) is pretty open ended. Best for what? Home network? Stand alone laptop that travels? Business? Enterprise? What?

So for those people who's computer habits encourage the use of a software firewall, Kerio, Outpost, Look ' Stop, are good lightweight ones that aren't all too naggy. I'm fine with just NAT from my router.

I'm using Sygate Free personal firewall.... ^ ^

low on resources and catches lots of active responses and port scans

ktk_ace said:
I'm using Sygate Free personal firewall.... ^ ^

low on resources and catches lots of active responses and port scans

That was a good one...too bad Symantec bought them up this past summer. Now updates to the package will probably be on hold....it'll be 2 years or so..then Symantec will replacing Symantec technology with Sygates technology beginning with enterprise level appliances...gradually incorporating it into consumer level products after that.

Back