What is the actual Turbo clock of Intel CPUs?

M76

[H]F Junkie
I've been looking at the specifications of newer Intel CPUs and I'm confused by the listed Turbo clocks. How does this work?
For example take the specifications of the I5-13600

Max Turbo Frequency: 5.3 GHz
Performance-core Max Turbo Frequency: 5.00 GHz
Efficient-core Max Turbo Frequency: 3.70 GHz

How is Max Turbo frequency higher than performance cores max turbo frequency? Will it exceed specifications? Or is the 5.00 GHz meant for all core boost?

I've been looking at the specifications of newer Intel CPUs and I'm confused by the listed Turbo clocks. How does this work?
For example take the specifications of the I5-13600

Max Turbo Frequency: 5.3 GHz
Performance-core Max Turbo Frequency: 5.00 GHz
Efficient-core Max Turbo Frequency: 3.70 GHz

How is Max Turbo frequency higher than performance cores max turbo frequency? Will it exceed specifications? Or is the 5.00 GHz meant for all core boost?
Max Turbo Frequency is for 1 core only. It is also coupled with Thermal Velocity Boost, ( if available on your model of CPU and if your MB supports it) which will allow your CPU to boost higher than specified parameters depending on thermal head room and turbo budget power. On the 13600k, the max TVB is 5.8Ghz according to Intel.

1696949399974.png

The P-Max and the E-Max are all core turbo for each cluster.

So it is possible for all 6 P-cores to run at 5GHz at the same time then?
Correct.
I've seen a lot of 13600k's do 5.6GHz all core OC'ed with no issues as well.

Edit: I called my nephew that has a 13600 non-k, and he said in order to have the P-cores hit 5GHz all core, he had to max out the power limits on the MB. Other than that, it will run in the mid 70's low 80's when gaming with a 240mm AIO.

Last edited:
Reactions: M76
like this
Max Turbo Frequency is for 1 core only. It is also coupled with Thermal Velocity Boost, ( if available on your model of CPU and if your MB supports it) which will allow your CPU to boost higher than specified parameters depending on thermal head room and turbo budget power. On the 13600k, the max TVB is 5.8Ghz according to Intel.

View attachment 604804

The P-Max and the E-Max are all core turbo for each cluster.
13600k does not have TVB.

But, a neat trick of the 13600k, is that its all core boost is remarkably stable. It will keep 5.1ghz through all 12 P-core threads, without any tweaking, and through all workloads. Even AVX.

13600k does not have TVB.

But, a neat trick of the 13600k, is that its all core boost is remarkably stable. It will keep 5.1ghz through all 12 P-core threads, without any tweaking, and through all workloads. Even AVX.
You are correct, I must of confused TB 3.0 that the 13900k (5.8 capable) has with the 13600k which does not. Good looking out.

Back