What is everybody's favorite 1TB drive?

Groto

Limp Gawd
I want to purchase 2x1TB drives for storage. I will run them in RAID 1 on my nvidia 680i (yes I know nvidia RAID sucks but I will upgrade that to a real RAID card sometime down the road)

I will eventually add more drives and make then RAID 5.

I searched around on google and read Toms Hardware Hardrive charts and this seems to be the fastest reliable drive with a good price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152102
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB drive

What is everybody's favorite 1TB drive? Am I making a good choice? I am staying awake from seagate right now since they seem to be having a lot of issues.

Thanks!

If you are just going to use these drives for storage, then speed may not be your over riding concern. I went with WD GP 1TB drives in my Thecus N5200. Now, 1 of the 3 was DOA, and I had to RMA it to ZZF, but that is the first drive I have had DOA in a long time, and I am willing to give WD an occasional oops. I even bought another for local storage in my new rig I just built. I will prolly move it into the array when I need the additional space there.

The point being, they are plenty fast enough for storage, while offering a significant savings in energy usage. Just the ticket for my NAS which runs 24 X 7.

Don

I'm using Seagate ST31000340AS drives (not on the affected list)... *knock on wood*

2x WD1001FALS. With AAM on, they are barely noticeable, even in my FT01. If you want to go cheaper, but with not as good CS/warranty then go with the F1 (quiet and fast, apparently rated #1 for 1TB's at spcr)

The F1 is very nice and very quiet, but it's true, it only has a 3 year warranty.

But in 3-5 years, the period where the WD still have warranty but the sammy don't, a 1tb drive will be dirt cheap, probably like 30 bucks. And it's not like the warranty will protect you against data loss.

So really, imo, it's about wether or not you want to reward WD for offering a longer warranty by voting with your dollar, because even if you buy a massive 16 drives for a crazy array, chances are the failure rates will be the same, and the savings on the sammy drives should afford you replacements.

Of course, if you're gonna use the drives 24/7, the cheapest are hands down the green drives at 5200 rpm, because power is pretty expensive in that scenario.

I own Samsung F1 and WD Caviar Black and I both are great performers.
The F1 is more silent but the Black is faster.

I decided to go with two Spinpoint F1s. They are considerably cheaper and everyone seems to like them a lot. No matter where I look online the reviews all say they tend to be real fast and reliable.

I decided to go with two Spinpoint F1s. They are considerably cheaper and everyone seems to like them a lot. No matter where I look online the reviews all say they tend to be real fast and reliable.

Great choice. Fast and quiet. :D

Back