What is an ISO Image?

c1001

Gawd
I have been using DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter to make backups of my DVDs. With DVD Decrypter there is an option to create an ISO image. What is that? Any difference with IFO format?

Also what is a DVD MDS file?

c1001 said:
I have been using DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter to make backups of my DVDs. With DVD Decrypter there is an option to create an ISO image. What is that? Any difference with IFO format?

Also what is a DVD MDS file?

An iso is one single file which is an image of the disk. IFO mode copies the \Video_TS and all the individual vobs to the hard drive.

ISOs are normally easier to burn, but you normally need to mount them in a virtual drive like daemon to play the dvd. You'll also normally need an ntfs file system to store isos as they're >4gb and FAT32 can't handle them.

I think and mds file is a hash check, so you can verify that your image hasn't been changed.

IanG said:
An iso is one single file which is an image of the disk. IFO mode copies the \Video_TS and all the individual vobs to the hard drive.

ISOs are normally easier to burn, but you normally need to mount them in a virtual drive like daemon to play the dvd. You'll also normally need an ntfs file system to store isos as they're >4gb and FAT32 can't handle them.

I think and mds file is a hash check, so you can verify that your image hasn't been changed.
VLC Media Player plays them without a hitch. :)

thanks for the replies. So will an ISO image burned to a DVD play on a standard DVD player?

If it's a DVD ISO, it should, sure. An ISO is just an "image" file of the original content you were copying. It should contain all the necessary information (as far as the data is concerned) to give you a bit-for-bit accurate copy of the data itself - the ISO format doesn't involve itself with issues like copy protection, bit-shifting, hidden sectors, defective sectors, etc... those are copy protection formats that relate to the media itself (the CD or DVD) and not related to the data being put on those media types.

So yes, if you make an ISO of a DVD then use burning software to burn that ISO to another DVD (blank media, obviously), the resulting burned "copy" should be identical.

Hope this helps...

Make sure in the software u r not just burning the iso onto the dvd, cuz then it will not work in a dvd player. You gotta make sure that the software knows its an ISO its burning. SO basically you cant just drag the iso onto the dvd and expect it to work. Kinda hard to explain

Back