what is ah-ips?

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
As title...

Is this a new tech over the good old hips?

If yes. What's the pros and what the cons?

can't believe that you've been here for 2 years...
and you still don't know how to use google and search function..

Are you expecting us to report your question? Sound like you are bossing around, buddy. :D

Are you expecting us to report your question? Sound like you are bossing around, buddy. :D

Google does not have an answer that can full fill my doubt.

Rude first response... poor form.

Have you considered that, like myself, he tried Google for multiple days/hours and still hasn't found an answer that is understandable or complete/concise enough for his liking?
Did you think maybe he came here to find some individuals who had more knowledge than him and might be willing to share it?
Yes the OP could have been a bit more polite and maybe elaborated more but...
It says a lot about you that someone asks a question and you think they're bossing you around.

Please let me know what differences there are in backlight bleed levels, color gamut, viewing angles, manufacturing processes. I've heard a range of different answers from a range of different websites. I understand a lot of it depends on the manufacturer and the backlight, but the which are good and which are bad? Would I be better off waiting until the AH-IPS technology matures a bit or should I pull the trigger on it now? How does it compare to all the other IPS manufacturing processes out there?

Long story short man, if it was really that simple then please next time refrain from posting snarky comments and try to add some value to the thread and take the three seconds out of your day to do it yourself. So far as I can tell, it's not a simple question. And it's a question that I've been reading up on for several hours this week and I feel like I'm just getting started...

Just be polite and try to help out, or don't post. There are mods here to moderate and they do just fine.

Last edited:
Op was just being concise, I don't think he was being rude.

As for the "Google it" remark... Google results lead people to places like [H]. If you don't like the question, just ignore it and move on.

I'm afraid I can't really provide much useful info to the OP, but you may want to check on reviews for the Dell 2713, as I believe it uses an AH-IPS panel.

One possible advantage, at least based on the 2713, is less aggressive coating. I'd love to see higher contrasts too, but don't think it'll push beyond the 1000:1 barrier.

And I always find the 'use google' types of responses completely bizarre.Quite often they also include a link to an automated google search at the same time -- happens in tons of forums. Typically those who respond like that simply have nothing useful to say and don't seem to understand the concept that it's perfectly valid for someone to ask a question in a forum that is geared towards that subject matter. It's not like it was a ridiculous question, nor something overly basic.

And yeah, it is considered rude to respond that way.

thank you guys :D
in any case, if you find something interesting, feel free to share it here.

"ah-ips" is what you say when you use an IPS for the first time. :p

thank you guys :D
in any case, if you find something interesting, feel free to share it here.

Yeah I'm not ever sure if AH-IPS is just a different cheaper manufacturing process and there's actually not any difference in the quality of the panel, or if it's a downgrade/upgrade..

Much of what seems off about the U2713 is the backlighting/coating's problem it seems like so I don't even know what to judge the panel itself by.

btw here's nice IPS summary by garikfox on overclock.net forums:

These below were all developed by Hitachi

Super TFT (IPS) - 1996 Wide viewing angle 100/100 Base level Most panels also support true 8-bit per channel color. These improvements came at the cost of a slower response time, initially about 50 ms. IPS panels were also extremely expensive.

Super-IPS (S-IPS) - 1998 has all the benefits of IPS technology with the addition of improved pixel refresh timing.

Advanced Super-IPS (AS-IPS) - 2002 Improves substantially on the contrast ratio of traditional S-IPS panels to the point where they are second only to some S-PVAs.

IPS-Provectus (IPS-Pro) - 2004 The latest panel from IPS Alpha Technology with a wider color gamut and contrast ratio matching PVA and ASV displays without off-angle glowing.

IPS alpha (IPS-Pro) - 2008 High contrast ratio Next generation of IPS-Pro

IPS alpha next gen (IPS-Pro) - 2010 High contrast ratio Technology transfer from Hitachi to Panasonic

These below were all developed by LG

Horizontal IPS (H-IPS) - 2007 Improves contrast ratio by twisting electrode plane layout. Also introduces an optional Advanced True White polarizing film from NEC, to make white look more natural. This is used in professional/photography LCDs.

Enhanced IPS (E-IPS) - 2009 Wider aperture for light transmission, enabling the use of lower-power, cheaper backlights. Improves diagonal viewing angle and further reduce response time to 5ms.

Professional IPS (P-IPS) - 2010 Offer 1.07 billion colours. More possible orientations per sub-pixel (1024 as opposed to 256) and produces a better true colour depth.

Advanced High Performance IPS (AH-IPS) - 2011 Improved colour accuracy, increased resolution and PPI, and greater light transmission for lower power consumption

there are 68 AH-IPS models on prad.de which is a lcd datasheet page which I use to get more info on monitors...I guess plenty of new medium price IPS based monitors today are AH-IPS, but there are still many older or cheaper panels with older IPS technology on sale

I am thinking of Philips 298P4QJEB 21:9 2560x1080 as a replacement to my Samsung 2443BW (16:10 24" TN 1920x1200) so was looking for the info on different IPS technologies...AH-IPS is the latest from LG it seems

2560x1080 is not that much more pixels compared to my current one so my graphic card could still be able handle that

1920x1200=2304000
2560x1080=2764800 (20% more pixels)
2560x1440=3686400 (60% more pixels)

I have 2GB 6950 unlocked to 6970 and OCed to 930/1375 so hopefully it should be ok for most current games...I can run most games maxxed except high aa, my cpu is [email protected] have ordered recently new aftermarket cooler for the 6950 so I might be able to push it even more than 930

watched some vids and some games look quite nice on 21:9 and I can thing of some other activities it could be good for, but have not decided yet...been thinking of upgrading to non-TN panel since the newer IPS panels seems to be ok for gaming (5ms gtg) and have better colours and also get LED backlit so it doesn't emit heat (my second lcd is led and runs quite cold)

the wider aspect ratio seems like a good excuse for me to justify spending money on replacing a working lcd ;o]

Last edited:
there are 68 AH-IPS models on prad.de which is a lcd datasheet page which I use to get more info on monitors...I guess plenty of new medium price IPS based monitors today are AH-IPS, but there are still many older or cheaper panels with older IPS technology on sale

And what about high end monitors?

Can I ask why you want to know? Is it just curiosity? As per my last post, this type of IPS sub-type seems most appropriate for handheld displays anyway, and not computer monitors

that PDF doesn't say anything about AH-IPS not being suitable/used for pc monitors. It just pinpoints the technology strong points like high brightness and low power consumption in relation to mobile devices where it matters the most. That doesn't mean monitors doesn't benefit from it as well.
Mobile devices are ahead of the pc monitors in display technologies because they are small so it's not so expensive to get new and better technologies out. That's where the real progress happens today and is adopted to desktop monitors.

As I posted on prad.de there are 68 AH-IPC desktop monitors ranging from 100 Euro for 21" to 1300+ Euro for 30".

I wonder when they release ADHD-IPS. Extremely low response time and high definition panels. =P

Back