What impact does ATI being bought by AMD have?

computadorka

[H]ard|Gawd
Since they will share technology and information will nVidia be left out a bit?

I have been a nvidia fan for a while and I am wondering if in the future with these two entities put together would it be better to get an ATI vid card?

AMD is always a must for me as far at procs go btw.

What impact does ATI being bought by AMD have?

they will have to change their logos to something like "now we're both number 2"

jk, jk.
i have intel/amd and nvidia/ati chipset

very truly yours,
politenessman

I'm not altogether sure what the result of the AMD/ATI union could be, perhaps we'll see ATI cards built right onto the CPU in the future.

dagon11985 said:
I'm not altogether sure what the result of the AMD/ATI union could be, perhaps we'll see ATI cards built right onto the CPU in the future.

They've already got that in the works. Right now it will be targeted at laptop and other small form factors that also need good power management. They said if the deal finalizes with the merger you will see this type of product in about 18 months.

Ultimately I don't think this merger will have an impact on nVidia products. AMD was looking to develop a platform, rather than just a processors and letting third parties handle the rest. AMD is not going to shut out nVidia from making AMD chipsets, and I highly doubt they would do anything to hinder performance of NV products on an AMD platform.

However, as time goes on I do believe that ATi mobo chipsets will become the one to have to get the most reliable boards, much like using an Intel chipset; something that many Intel users have always claimed as being the reason they won't use AMD.

All I've heard is that ATI will continue on as it has, but the management will be redone, and thats it.

vanilla_guerilla said:
they will have to change their logos to something like "now we're both number 2"

ROFLMAO! Almost choked on my General Tso's

Maybe we will finally get decent linux drivers for ati's cards?

One can hope.

AMD is copying Intels plan for a more platform type business. Also, now that they are together they do not need to outsource the Fab to create the ATI products.

Back