What headphones for a dorm room?

NeuroMaster

Limp Gawd
I'm home on spring break and listening to music through those cheap sony headphones that wrap around behind your head. Bringing my laptop home is easy, but my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 set stays at school.

Still, moving from my Klipsch set to these cheapass 'phones reminds me that in the fall semester I'll almost certainly be moving into a double. I was blessed with a single and thick walls this semester so I could enjoy my music without disturbing anyone, but I'm unsure if my future roommate will appreciate the death screams of my opponents and/or rock music in the wee hours of the morning.

Anyway, I'm considering my headphone options for the fall. I'll be wanting closed headphones. I know open ones sound nicer, but the reason I'm getting them in the first place is so that I don't disturb my roommate. Ideally I'd like something that sounds at least as good as my Klipsch setup, but not having demo'd many decent headphones, I don't know if that's a realistic goal. Also, comfort is pretty important - I'll be wearing them for several hours just about every day. Flashy looks or silly bass-exaggerating features are not important. I want my explosions to sound like explosions, but I want my music to sound like music.

My price range is between $50 to $150. This reflects my inexperience with the headphone market more than anything. I just don't know how much it costs to sound good. Right now I'm eyeing the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros for ~$100. Any other recommendations? I was considering a headphone amp (probably roll my own CMoy style), but amazingly, my laptop's jack seems to push out a lot of juice. I couldn't turn my Klipsch set up more than halfway without causing extreme aural discomfort, even with the software volume control at the lowest audible setting.

Cliff's Notes:
-Need closed headphones for dorm room, replacing Klipsch Promedia 2.1 set
-$50-$150?
-Must sound like music, not bassbassbass
-Must be comfortable
-Considering Sennheiser HD 280 Pros
-Profit?

If you're not going to use them as portables, the A500 would be a good choice. Very comfortable, good sound, some isolation and wide soundstage for gaming fun.
Available from audiocubes.com
If portable use may be in the future, then maybe the Shure E2 canalphones(comfort and fit may be an issue), or Sony D66 Eggos(audiocubes), or maybe the Beyerdynamic DT 231.

+1 for BP. A500s probably the best bet. I love my Eggos but they make more sense as portable 'phones.

Amazon has the HD-280 pros on sale for $80 shipped. Give some money to underdeveloped nations, and use this link.

www.Amazon.com/unicef

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The HD-280's are pretty good. They go on sale for $50 every once in a while. You might want to test drive some open headphones as well. My Grados leak sound, but I doubt it's enough to piss off a roommate. I also have a single, and a very nice stereo setup. If you're craving the Klipsch sound (although the promedias probably don't sound that great compared to a real stereo setup) you have to listen to some Grados. As long as you don't like your music at earbleeding levels, they shouldn't leak enough sound to bother your roommate. They probably won't be very good for gaming though, since they lack a good soundstage.

I love my HD-280's!! they block out outside sounds like you wouldn'd believe. These are the only "real" headphones I've ever listened to, but ompared to those crappy "behind the ear" heatphones from sony, these sound like a million dollars (well, actually $100, well... you know). If you're looking for excellent quality, and if you'll be using them in a noisy place (such as near any computer) these are perfect for you.

Another vote for the 280s. I have them, and the Sony V6/7506. I prefer the 280s because of the better seal, and that they're more comfortable. I'm in dorms too, and I can def tell u that they're great at blocking outside sound. Just don't buy them for more than $80, look around on deal sites for em.

btw don't bother with the cmoy if you're getting the 280s. Their impedence is good enough that you don't need an amp, and they won't benefit from one much anyways.

No, it's not. Kofi Annan is a good and honest man. You have been watching too much Fox News. Shut the fuck up.

GodsMadClown said:
No, it's not. Kofi Annan is a good and honest man. You have been watching too much Fox News. Shut the fuck up.

Agreed. I still, to this day, don't understand all the animosity aimed at the UN. I guess they make a convenient scapegoat :rolleyes:

infiniti029 said:
Another vote for the 280s. I have them, and the Sony V6/7506. I prefer the 280s because of the better seal, and that they're more comfortable. I'm in dorms too, and I can def tell u that they're great at blocking outside sound. Just don't buy them for more than $80, look around on deal sites for em.

btw don't bother with the cmoy if you're getting the 280s. Their impedence is good enough that you don't need an amp, and they won't benefit from one much anyways.
I own the mdr v600 just wondering would i see a big improvement if i were to get the mdrv6 ?

Another vote for the HD280s with a modest amp. Although you could just get the Audio Technicas ATH-a500s and be fine without an amp... Either way when you decide to buy whatever you buy just be happy with it and don't think about upgrading anytime soon because you'll just think that you should have spent the extra $100 and gone with the ATH-a900s :)

The amp is not strictly necessary for the HD-280, although it does help add weight to the bottom end. Mostly it is so that you can use the (excellent for headphone listening) AV-710.

I've used the HD280s on a long international flight and it definitely blocks out noise.

Back