What game got you accidentally addicted to?

Eshelmen

Supreme [H]ardness
Ever have those games that you just picked up for random non serious reasons and just fell completely in love with?

Maybe you just saw it on sale or you were bored and just bought it for the hell of it. Maybe you had a few friends play it, but by observing it over their shoulders you didn't seem impressed at all....until you picked it up and played it for yourself.

I know this has happened to most of you gamers out there.

I've actually had a few surprises that made me completely disregard my other main games for a while.

Here are some that caught me off guard.

1. Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn- PS4
I saw there was a 2 week trial on the PC and PS4, never thought much of the game. Downloaded it and tried it. Within three days I was hooked on the game. I went to GameStop and bought the game and 2 60 day subscription cards. Still playing it now.

2. Counter-Strike 1.0-PC
My dads friend brought it over during a BBQ on Labor Day, 2000.
I remember the date completely, lol. As it basically started my online gaming experience, also sparked the interest in computers as well.

3. Company of Heroes- PC
I'm a huge fan of WW2, however never really liked RTS style games. As soon as I played the demo , I was hooked. From there on when the game was fully released, I put hundreds of hours into it and other RTS style games.

4. Secret Ponchos - PS4 and PC
Saw it on the PSN a few months ago for free for PSPLUS subs, didn't think anything of it. It became a great arcade style shooter that I have actually grown fond of and am now one of the official tournament managers for the game. Lol pretty cool.

Of course this thread isn't about the most played or what's your favorite game ever, but what game caught you off guard and got you instantly hooked. Was there a continued story about it? Did you find about another game because of that one? Did you meet someone because of it? So many stories can relate to this random encounter.

What about you guys?

I know there are some good stories you have.

Last edited:
Hero Academy when it first released on iOS. That game had me and my buddies so addicted we were playing like everyday, every hour lol.

I just downloaded it and tried it out and fell in love. Told my friends about it and we all got hooked. Now that I'm on Android I was glad they finally ported it over to Android as well. I purchased the game on Steam too when it was released. Super fun game!

DAM Counter-Strike Beta in Late 1999 got me hooked into PC Gaming and the IT industry... Right now its been a switch between Payday 2, WoW, and Company of Heroes 2. Moving onto GTA 5 and BF Hardline next month.

On Android-Subway Surfer

On iOS-Tiny Tower

On PC-L4D2, UT99, NFS Underground 2.

The original Dungeon Siege back in '02....

I was working as an HP sales rep at the time and they just set up a demo on some random end-cap
at a CompUSA. The graphics BLEW MY MIND so I picked it up as just a "show-off piece" for my new
rig (Athlon XP 1900+, 256mb DDR 2100, Geforce 2 GTS 64mb etc).

Long story short, I ended up getting addicted to that game for an entire summer. It started my lifelong love affair with ARPG's in the process....

Euro Truck Simulator 2
I don't know why but I cant seem to get enough of it right now.

Really? No one accidentally got hooked on a bad game? Were all adults here stop being pussies

A.V.A - Alliance of Valiant Arms
Crimecraft
Ragnarok Online
Silkroad Online
Audiosurf
Beat Hazard

This is off topic but I've beaten this game Dragon Force for Sega saturn at least 15-20 times and its a long game. Also Gemfire for SNES I've sunk a billion hours into.

Gemfire%20(U).png

0.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
It looks old as poop, but I promise if you like resource and strategy games youd be incapable of putting this down I've beaten it on every level with every leader like 10 times. Still play it on my phone sometimes.

Last edited:
Warframe. I have 2219 hours in it on Steam. I played the game LONG before it came to Steam. I can't stop playing it. Damn.

PowerStone 1. I want a new version of this on PC so bad that I refuse to download an emulator to play it. If Capcom doesn't make it happen this year I might have to. We can all dream right?

Civilization Beyond Earth. I refuse to play the game because when I start I can't quit until I finish it. This means no bathroom breaks, food, or phone calls. I must stay to the end. Maybe I'll try it on a higher difficulty and lose. Then maybe I can "leave" a game in the middle of a round.

APB. I was so damn mad when they shutdown the servers. I used to play with this lesbian chick and she was so much of a tomboy. Sit around and talk football, baseball, video games, NBA, Olympics, NASCAR, etc for hours. Too bad she didn't like the D; or at least if the servers had stayed up I could have at least gotten up the courage to ask. Ha ha ha!

Quake 2 CTF.

Still the beginning, there won't be and end till they put me in the dirt baby.

There will never be a game that captured that enjoyment for me, ever again.
It was the dawn of online gaming, back then, mod devs would come play in your
server just to chat with you and thank you for hosting their mods.

The world has changed.

Front Mission 3.

I don't even know why the hell I bought it in the first place, but it had mechs and I was in high school, so it took the place of my social life.

Really? No one accidentally got hooked on a bad game? Were all adults here stop being pussies

Crimecraft
Ragnarok Online
Silkroad Online
Audiosurf
Beat Hazard

This is off topic but I've beaten this game Dragon Force for Sega saturn at least 15-20 times and its a long game. Also Gemfire for SNES I've sunk a billion hours into.

Gemfire%20(U).png

0.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
It looks old as poop, but I promise if you like resource and strategy games youd be incapable of putting this down I've beaten it on every level with every leader like 10 times. Still play it on my phone sometimes.

Silkroad online. Brings back memories!!! Played that for the longest time!

A mobile game called Puzzle & Dragons.

I saw my brother playing it, and since I was developing some games I figured I should check out what everyone else is playing.

I'm nearly a year in of daily gameplay calculating my optimal team and farming materials. I don't know how it happened.

I got really hooked on Natural Selection 2 a couple years ago. Stumbled on the game completely out of the blue and ended up being obsessed with it for close to a year. I had some damn good times with that game, but like many hot passions.... it ended as quickly as it had come. I really should fire it back up some time to see if anyone is still playing!

Crimecraft
Ragnarok Online
Silkroad Online
Audiosurf
Beat Hazard

Gemfire%20(U).png

0.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Lol I laughed.

I guess you could say I got addicted to DC universe when I tried it out. After a month, I realized how terrible the MMO is.

Crimecraft
Ragnarok Online
Silkroad Online
Audiosurf
Beat Hazard

Gemfire%20(U).png

0.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I didn't consider ragnarok online a bad game.

Insaniquarium Deluxe for Windows. Not the best game, but holy shit did I get addicted to it back in high school.

Sim Tower. Got it as a gift for Christmas and didn't have a clue what it involved, but I was quickly hooked.

Diablo 2 - Every two years or so.

That is the only one I can think of. I used to move from game to game as a kid/teen as I lived in the boonies and only had dial up in the 90s. Then D2 and 28.8 game along, then D2 and broadband in college.

Only other game I have played a lot for a long time is HoN/Dota 2, I don't know why that rage inducing shitty game keeps pulling me back but it does.

How about Real War and RW: Rogue States? The very first strategy game that I got me into the genre. I still play it to this day. Very addictive.

Dungeon Keeper!!! I remember getting the demo on a PC Gamer CD. Tried it out, and loved it. In fact, I still have it installed and play it regularly. What a classic.

In all the years I've been into PC gaming, I can't really think of any I "accidentally" got hooked on. Played hundreds of hours of CS, other FPS, and several RPG games. Loved every minute of most of 'em.

But with mobile gaming, it's another story. Sometimes you just want something mindless to kill time while you're waiting around. Several F2P games where you have to grind endlessly or you have to pay money to go faster. I have to say the worst one I've played to date is:

Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff.

I've been playing this on my Note3 - definitely the worst game I've ever been hooked on. I've probably put over a hundred hours into this game, and I have no idea why. I enjoy the show, but this game isn't funny or fun to play, just addictive for no apparent reason.

Oh, and Facebook games. Glad I got over that brief addiction. For a couple months in like 2007 I was hooked on Mob Wars and a couple other similar games where you just sit there and click and nothing actually happens. So f'ing stupid I can't comprehend what I (or anyone else) saw in those. I still get popups every now and then with someone wanting me to play Candy Crush Saga or Farmville or some crap like that (two I've never actually tried). Can't believe people still play this crap.

Battlefield 1942 Wake Island Demo
Had a similar reaction to FTL, obviously years later.

Sim City franchise from the original to 4.
Civilization games since II.

Many tens of thousands of hours into those.

Oh god, just remembered another one. I'm a little proud of myself for repressing that memory already! Thanks OP for dredging this one back up. :(

Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning

Second worst RPG I've ever played, and it took over 90 hours to finish. I didn't realize how much I hated it 'till about 50 hours, but after spending so much time in it I was determined to finish. Never been so glad to complete and un-install a game as when I finally beat that one.

CS 1.4
Freaking Prison Architect
Burnout Paradise. I keep going back to that game over and over.
Skyrim. I'd never beat another Elder Scrolls game, and tried Morrowind and Oblivion but never got very far.

Street Fighter 2 has probably affected my life more than any other game. Obsessive trips to the mall arcade for years, dorm tournaments, dozens of sequels, etc.
I can't even count the number of hours I put into those early versions.

Back