What ever happened to haptic technology?

Yossarian22

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm not talking about rumbling.

I remember people always demoing the Microsoft Force Feedback Pro in CompUSA was it?

If my memory serves me correctly these devices actually had motors that manipulated the joystick in all dimensions to give real resistance so in any given particular game you could feel the stresses in say an aircraft doing a tight turn.

What the hell ever happened to this technology?

Funny you bring up haptic feedback because I ran across my old Logitech iFeel mouse today.

Ah, memories:
SVC7i.jpg

I'm not talking about rumbling.

I remember people always demoing the Microsoft Force Feedback Pro in CompUSA was it?

If my memory serves me correctly these devices actually had motors that manipulated the joystick in all dimensions to give real resistance so in any given particular game you could feel the stresses in say an aircraft doing a tight turn.

What the hell ever happened to this technology?

The nostro gun has feedback available now I believe. Sorry I'd dig it up but I forget teh name. is the handgun mouse thing.

I've always been intrigued by the Novint Falcon. If I ever have $200.00 burning a hole in my wallet...

Check out Novint's next product: The Novint XIO... It looks interesting, in a Deus Ex-y way.

Anyway, don't the common force-feedback steering wheels do more than "rumble"? I had a cool Logitech Formula Force wheel in 1999 that was awesome, and really pulled your arms around as you drove through turns and over rough terrain. I imagine newer wheels are even better. I wish Logitech released drivers for my old wheel for newer Windows version, too. It was last supported in Windows XP, but the wheel actually seems comparable to the newer models.

I bought a novint falcon, the main problem is new games doesnt support it. which makes it less special for me because I can only play older games until they add the new game into it which than becomes old.

well joysticks kind of fell out of fashion. the technology is still there on racing wheels.

Back