What else can I do to renew/refresh the computer?

AcidicRage

Limp Gawd
I've defragmented + chkdisk, windows update to all latest updates, downloaded latest drivers for most of my programs including (video, sound, chipset, etc), deleted/cleared out prefetch, cleared out history/IE, run Ad-Aware/SpyBot, and some virus scanners to clean out any spyware or viruses/trojans. I've also used Registry Mechanic and RegClean to clean out/sort through registries. I've even deleted unncessary programs/files/folders and tweaked some Windows XP settings for faster/better performance. I guess the ONLY thing I haven't done is reformat my whole computer (maybe this is the best solution). Any other programs/suggestions I should do? It seems that my computer is slowed down and not up to it's potential maximum performance when I first bought/build the computer.

I know there is a .dll cleaner out there that will delete unecessary .dlls, but it did bad things to my system... :D
the best way to get an 'as new' feeling is to reformat*

*I never actually format my disk. I use a handy cd from here: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ to build a pre-install environment cd. you boot from that cd, and you have a (very limited) operating system running from CD. Then I remove the windows directory, rename program files, and rename documents and settings.

Now reboot and install windows. Everything will be shiny and new, and grab all your stuff from the renamed documents and setting folder, and the program files folder. Make sure you didn't forget anything, and then delete the old folders. You still have all your other stuff, (Don't forget your 'my documents' and 'favorites' folders!!!) and you have a fresh install of windows, but still have all your stuff. (I have a bunch of data on my c: drive that I don't want to lose, in various directories)
By stuff I mean trillian contact list, etc... not the actual programs. you'll have to re-install those of course.

I just do this when the system gets chewy, or when I feel like it. works like a charm! :)

defcom_1: Thanks for bringing this utility to my attention. That's very cool, and I can think of several instances (especially one) where it really would have helped me out. Well, it will be part of my little toolbox from now on!

Back