What does it mean when an app just closes on it's own?

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm curious. On Android phones, what does it mean when you are using an app, then it just closes suddenly and abruptly without any warning or error message? Is this perhaps due to overheating, or running out of RAM? It doesn't happen a whole lot, but when it does I always find myself scratching my head because I never get an error message like you often would on a computer.

The app crashed. Or if many apps are doing this, the phone crashed.

If it was the matrix then you'd think this would happen on my PC as well which I use 10 times as much, no? It never happens on my PC with apps, only on my phone.
you dont notice it around you because you are staring intently at your phone when it happens.
what O said is the real answer. apps dont give errors they just close. if everything does it, its the phone or os.

When an app closes its most times the memory as the culprit. Not being a hardware fault it’s usually a bug in the programming that causes a sudden shut down. It’s one of the reasons why when you go to reload the app it is a fresh start.

I would be interested to know what phone you're using or at least how much RAM it has, because the only time I've ever seen anything like that (if it wasn't a specific app's issue at least) is when RAM was so limited the OS was forced to close the foreground app. I've only seen it on a couple of my kid's tablets that only have 1.5GBs of RAM or less though. So if your device has 2+ GBs of RAM, unless you're running a whole lot of active apps at once, I wouldn't think it should be force closing foreground apps. Otherwise maybe it's an issue with your specific device and whatever custom software it's running, which is why I would like to know what it is.

I would be interested to know what phone you're using or at least how much RAM it has, because the only time I've ever seen anything like that (if it wasn't a specific app's issue at least) is when RAM was so limited the OS was forced to close the foreground app. I've only seen it on a couple of my kid's tablets that only have 1.5GBs of RAM or less though. So if your device has 2+ GBs of RAM, unless you're running a whole lot of active apps at once, I wouldn't think it should be force closing foreground apps. Otherwise maybe it's an issue with your specific device and whatever custom software it's running, which is why I would like to know what it is.

I don't think he's referring to any specific device, just the act of an app closing without a reason popping up, like a desktop OS.

I have had this happen on a Palm pre, numbers iPhones and multiple Google phones. It isn't app specific or anything. You will just be using an app and boom, back at the main screen.

It isn't the end of the world, but it does happen.

Back