What do you do about misbehaving apps?

Gorilla

Supreme [H]ardness
So last night I didn't charge my new note edge because I wanted to see how long I can go between charges. This morning I take a look and discover that somehow facebook has jumped from no battery use last night to 22% this morning. I can uninstall it, or disable notifications but that is about it. This seems to happen all too often with random apps. Eventually they get updated but in the meantime I'm stuck with something that ruins my battery life. Is there any way to figure out what the problem is? The keep awake time was only a few minutes, data usage was low, the cpu time was only a few minutes.

The Facebook app is known to be one of the worst coded pieces of shit on the app store (apple and android). You're better off using the browser to access Facebook.

Uninstall that FB crapplet. If you want notifications you can get it now with mobile Chrome. I only use FB for events and don't want the notifications so mobile Chrome is perfect.

Facebook is crappy, but that is not the point. This happens fairly often with apps that aren't facebook. I remember a while back the play store was wrecking my S4. I would suddenly notice that my phone was really hot in my pocket and would discover that play store was running my phone at full throttle for no apparent reason and that it had burned through half my battery before I noticed it. Eventually they updated it and fixed it, but the only solution I had before that was to watch out for my pocket getting hot.

If you phone is rooted, install App Quarantine (free version) to freeze and unfreeze apps and processes when needed. My phone never drops below 100% battery level overnight. Nothing runs in the background without my explicit knowledge and permission, day or night. :)

Back