what could cause "loss of display?"

Harkamus

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm at my wit's end here. What could cause my computer to lose display? Basically, what happens is my LCD monitor goes blank. It's as if I put my PC to sleep mode and the monitor goes into power savings mode (where it's still on, but has the orange light instead of green light). It only happens when I game, and not all the time either. Sometimes I can game without this strange occurrence. These days I don't play much. Usually LotR or L4D2. Sometimes it happens during either game, sometimes only one, sometimes never.

I used to think it was a hard crash, but then I tested this theory by looping a music playlist in the background and firing up a game. After a few minutes, I lose display, but my music is still playing. Heck, I let it play long enough for it to change to the next song on my play list.

I can't alt tab out and close any programs because I have no display. I'm lead to believe the games are actually still running just fine except I can't see them since I have no display!

Hardware checks out. Last time this happened I thought it was a hardware issue because I play without headphones or speakers a lot of times, so I assumed the crashes were hard crashes. Replaced the video card, PSU, and memory.

It's also not overheating. I live in Atlanta where we regularly get temps over 100 degrees. I've gamed in those climes without the display loss before. It's like my PC has a mind of its own. It will work some days. Other days I can't play longer than a few minutes before my display disappears. I also don't over clock. I did clear out all the dust as well. Just today in fact.

Hardware is a GTX 460, 4 gigs of DDR, 3 Ghz core 2 duo. 7200 RPM 320 gig HD, win 7 x64 pro. Latest drivers. Dell 2011fp if that helps any. DVI connection.

Any theories?

EDIT: Swapping LCDs yielded the exact same results.

Last edited:
Back