What comes after the 45nm process?

Prism123

Weaksauce
Will it just be an even smaller process. I know that 65 isn't even out yet and 45 is still a couple years down the road, but I'm wondering about the long term roadmap for processors. They can't just simply shrink the fab process forever, can they? Do you think they'll be some revolutionary new invention or something, kinda like the switch from vacume tubes to transistors, or can they use some other material besides silicon or what?

Prism123 said:
Will it just be an even smaller process. I know that 65 isn't even out yet and 45 is still a couple years down the road, but I'm wondering about the long term roadmap for processors. They can't just simply shrink the fab process forever, can they? Do you think they'll be some revolutionary new invention or something, kinda like the switch from vacume tubes to transistors, or can they use some other material besides silicon or what?

2 words: liquid processors

My bet is optical (photonic) cores.

....hey, my guess is as good as anyone's.... :D

But - I think silicon based small geometry processor archetecture has a long way to go. We're just starting to see it in the newer dual core processors. Look for major advancements in that arena sooner than later.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Well, 32 nm was proposed by several places. Apparently, there are already development packages for 45 and 32 nm processes.

I am with BlindedByScience - Intel has up to 8 core CPUs on the roadmap. Programmers will just have to learn to take advantage of more multithreading. 8 cores with HT is 16 threads, we have a long way to go with current processes. By the time adding extra cores becomes impratical we will have something beyond current technologies to work with.

Then again Quantum and DNA-based architectures also take advantage of massive parallelism, which isn't hard to add to most code. The only programs that tend to be incredibly hard to code for it are games, but then, consoles are taking over that environment anyway.

Back