What are the top 5 brands of PSU?

That means that they are made by Fortron-Source Power. So in essesnce they are re-badged fortron units with different casing and fans.

Fortron 530w from newegg is your best bet, 75 bucks and you can even adjust the pots (all you need is a philips head screwdriver), NEVER BUY A ALLIED PSU I HAVE ONE, IT JUST BROKE AND IT BLOWS ASS

tylerhskate said:
Fortron 530w from newegg is your best bet, 75 bucks and you can even adjust the pots (all you need is a philips head screwdriver),
Or the same Sparkle unit for $5 less. :D

Hey guys, I just got one of my Fortrons 350w PSU from Newegg, and one looks like it's been banged up. The lower left hand corner of the PS looks like it was maybe dropped...possibly banged with another PS.

Question is, should I RMA this thing? The reason I wanted this good brand PSU was so that it wouldn't fry my MB and Graphics Card like the last one did...I'm afraid if I try this one out and it's broken, it's going to fry everything else. Should I be worried? What's the best way to test it? I would glady RMA it, if I wasn't pressed for time.

Thanks for all the help guys, it's greatly appreciated.

Nano_PC_Solutions said:
Thanks for all the help guys, it's greatly appreciated.

You generally want to start a new thread when you have a question rather than hijacking someone else's.

The right answer is to RMA this one. That's safe. You obviously think being fast is better than being safe.

If I was in a rush like you, I would shake it. Is there anything rattling around inside the case? If so, RMA immediately. Anything floating around in the plastic bag it was packed in? If so, RMA immediately.

Is there an "Void If Removed" sticker that prevents you from opening the case? If so, I'd just RMA it. Otherwise, I'd open the case and look for physical damage. If the PCB is cracked, then I'd RMA it.

Then, I'd plug it into a PSU tester and see what happens. Smoke and sparks? RMA it.

After that, use it.

.B ekiM

Well, the reason I posted it here was that we were all talking about Fortrons and such, it never crossed my mind that I was "hijacking". If so, I apologize. None the less, thanks for the help and I'll take your advice. Please feel free to delete my post if such a need be.

Thanks again.

Id RMA it to be safe, it takes considerable force to dent the corner of a PSU
considering this thread was already wandering , and that it was a simple question related to the model of popular choice :p

Fortron Rules

its wasnt much of a hijack ;)

this is how you conduct a hijack
Everyone up against the wall!
This is a Hijack!

we will now discuss the finer points of easy listening muzak :p

jk ;)

Thanks Ice. :)

So I just installed a fortron 350w (not that dented one, a good one) to power a 3000+, NF7 2.0, 512MB Kingston, 200GB WD Hard Drive, Sapphire 9800pro, and a Lite-On 52x32x52 CDRW...and the system works wonderfully.

My recommendations go to Fortron as well. :cool:

Nano_PC_Solutions said:
If so, I apologize.

It's no big deal, Nano. Thing is, creating a new thread serves yourself better: more people see your new posting in the top list than do so buried here in another thread.

I'm just trying to give you some advice that would get more eyes on your quesiton.

.B ekiM

computerpro3 said:
Hey I did that too. Here's a little secret...if you want it to catch on fire and emit loud pops and pretty blue/orange colors all you have to do is press the little button that says "PSU_ON"! Its a great feature by the manufacturer for when you get bored with your pc. Instantly puts on a firework show!
Not only that, but if you are one of the lucky few it'll either give you a good reason to format and begin reconstructing your data, or better yet - give you the green light on that new system you've been wanting but know you can't afford!!!

Back