What Amp/speak setup for home audio

ProficienT

n00b
Hey guys im relatively clueless on the audio scene.
I do have quite a nice setup for my home theater but im looking to set up my 2nd lounge purely for music.

How possible is it to get an amp purely for music and have it connected to a network?
We would spent around $500~ on the amp as we would prefer the speakers to be where we put the cash..

The house has 3 rooms connecting to this lounge and we would all like to have the option to play our music through this so what is the best way to go about it through the network?

Thanks.

I am sure there are other solutions, but you could do a lot worse than get a Logitech Squeezebox, that would get your music to another location with a pair of RCA outputs, or digital outputs. It would then just be a case of connecting up an amplifier. I will leave recommendations of those to someone else, I am not familiar with availability in the US, but I think the Squeezebox may do the bulk of the streaming side anyway.

Hey guys im relatively clueless on the audio scene.
I do have quite a nice setup for my home theater but im looking to set up my 2nd lounge purely for music.

How possible is it to get an amp purely for music and have it connected to a network?
We would spent around $500~ on the amp as we would prefer the speakers to be where we put the cash..

The house has 3 rooms connecting to this lounge and we would all like to have the option to play our music through this so what is the best way to go about it through the network?

Thanks.

This receiver has network capability to play music from another computer in the house or stream internet radio
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

Spending much bigger portion on speakers is 100% correct decision.
What's your budget for speakers?

what is your total budget.
the better amps arent going to have networking built in. so you'll need something like a logitech squeezebox touch.

id say spending around 1/3 on the source, 1/3 on the amp and 1/3 on the speakers is a good way to go.if you have a larger room and are getting floorstanders, than tip more towards the speaker side...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xV55WDRMixS/s_745C316BEE/NAD-C-316BEE.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_596SQT...x-Touch.html?search=squeezebox_touch&skipvs=T

so thats about $600, if you were looking to spend around $500 for a networked amp....

and can you describe what you mean by 3 rooms connecting? are you going to have a stereo in each room and you want the network player to be accessible in all of them?

that nad equipment is hard to beat.they have a quality sound for sure.depending on how loud you wanna play.the higher the speakers sensitivity the better.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Will be copping this week budget is $1500 for amp and speakers.
Just really would love for it to be connected to the network and sound quality to be as good as possible.

By 3 rooms connecting i mean upstairs has 3 bedrooms and a lounge, the system will be in the lounge and all 3 bedrooms would like to play through the system (from there PC) at any given time.

Just wondering if there is any options other than the logitech?

The amp seems to not be readily available in Australia, and crutchfield doesnt seem to ship outside the US.

What speakers would people suggest?

The KDXM seem to be reviewed very well? are they better than the B&W 685

Last edited:
^ I do like the sonos looking into it tomorrow.
Will it be worthwhile to get an amp aswell or just the sonos to speakers?

ok, im still a little confused

are you going to have a set of speakers in each of the rooms, or do you just want to be able to "control" the lounge from each room.

Back