What am I doing wrong?

raglafart

Limp Gawd
I've been trying to use the AI suite 3 overclock facility on my X79 Deluxe and I'm getting all sorts of strange results.
Not only that the AI III suite seems a bit flaky opening sometimes and then sometimes once it's been opened once it won't open again unless I reboot.
I've also seen that the Channel 2 fan doesn't work.
Has anyone else had similar problems? I'm thinking the Channel 2 fan not working is an RMA problem?

When I try overclocking I'm getting some really weird and highly optimistic results that bear no resemblence to the actual figures.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the AI suite 3 or 4 times now without any improvement in the on again off again access to the program. Also the overclocking hasn't been consistent either.

I'm really new at overclocking so I may be messing up myself, then again, I don't know if the board or AI suite is adding to the hassles?

I'll have to get my image hosting sorted before I add some screen shots, but I've got a screen shot of the AI III showing an overclock of 6930 mhz !!!!! while CPU-Z is showing a more realistic 4621 mhz

Cheers John

Last edited:
CPU-Z will be correct. Most software overclocking software is not the most reliable (though ironically, the world record OC's are always with software OC in the OS). The Software will have some settings it thinks it's using, which are not reliable for knowing the precise clocks depending on what registers the software thinks it's reading vs. what registers it's actually reading. If you recall OC competitions, it's always validated by a CPU-Z (or similar) value.

So...I don't know anything about the AI Suite 3 utility you talk about, but I wouldn't trust what speeds it says. I would also not trust that the voltages it's using are optimal (i.e., enough to be stable, but not going too high, or i.e., sufficient for stability testing), I would also not trust that the software isn't overvolting. Manual overclocking will be much more trustworthy.

Overclock in the BIOS, motherboard tools can be terrible.
Test the result in Windows.

The clocking tool that comes with my Gigabyte board is just as crap.

Back