what a nightmare

a few weeks ago i posted here about how r6 vegas was giving me problems with bluescreening and crahses to the desktop after maybe 5 mins of playing. now all of my other games are doing the same thing. crysis, cod4, oblivion, everything except cs:s. im using the latest and greatest drivers and patches for everything, and my specs are in the sig. what on earth is going on here?

update: cs:s is dong it to now.

With just rainbow six you had HIV but now it has developed into full blown AIDS. You are going to die.

either you got a driver problem, or its overheating. which seems likely since every game is doing it. is your case enclosed in something? or does it have open room around it? The video card could be loose, or the extra power connector loose. Check for chipset and cpu drivers too. what is the error on the bluescreen? that might help

It could be the video card overheating? I would get a good aftermarket cooler personally. I went with the S1 and it keeps it very cool.

Yeah heat is first suspect.
The fix will either be to get better airflow, slow something down or replace a faulty component that is heating up too much.

You can find whats running out of spec at its operational temp by either inspecting the temps or slightly slowing down things one by one to see when the problem improves.
If the problem is Power supply getting too hot and reducing its output, this method probably wont show it up so blowing colder air onto ONLY the PSU is a good test.
Its best to remove the PSU from the case to do this.

either you got a driver problem, or its overheating. which seems likely since every game is doing it. is your case enclosed in something? or does it have open room around it? The video card could be loose, or the extra power connector loose. Check for chipset and cpu drivers too. what is the error on the bluescreen? that might help

the bluescreen flashes too fast to read the error usually. and i dont think the 8800gt needs 2 power connectors. if it does, i have no idea where the other one plugs in.

Yeah heat is first suspect.
The fix will either be to get better airflow, slow something down or replace a faulty component that is heating up too much.

You can find whats running out of spec at its operational temp by either inspecting the temps or slightly slowing down things one by one to see when the problem improves.
If the problem is Power supply getting too hot and reducing its output, this method probably wont show it up so blowing colder air onto ONLY the PSU is a good test.
Its best to remove the PSU from the case to do this.

im not sure how much better my airflow can get. my case is a nine hundred. and i think its also worth noting that, for a month and a half, it worked flawlessly. this just started a few weeks ago.

Are you running XP? If so, I'd say it's time for a format and fresh install. :D

Vista? Umm... go back to XP. ;)

Are you running XP? If so, I'd say it's time for a format and fresh install. :D

Vista? Umm... go back to XP. ;)

im on xp. and ive been mulling that for a bit. since, for some reason, booting from my install disc bring up a bluescreen, would it be possible to just format my c drive while windows is open? or would that just unleash the demons from hell?

If you want to see the blue screen message, turn off 'automatically restart' under system properties -> advanced -> startup and recovery settings.

As far as the errors themselves, you said you updated patches and drivers but did you flash your motherboard bios as well?

If you want to see the blue screen message, turn off 'automatically restart' under system properties -> advanced -> startup and recovery settings.

As far as the errors themselves, you said you updated patches and drivers but did you flash your motherboard bios as well?

havent tried reflashing the bios yet. ill look into that tomorrow.

First things first, run memtest86 for a while, and run Hitachi DFT. Definately sounds like HW issues.

Agree with Pigwalk - sounds like HW issues. If memtest comes up ok, I'd use a monitoring program to verify your voltages stay within spec when gaming. I had the same thing once and was replacing everything under the sun to narrow down what the problem was - it turned out to be my PSU.

I had an issue similar to that a long time ago, turned out my PSU wasnt as special as I had thought. Games pulled too much power and boom, curtasy boot. Had an issue with heat before that where the system would just reboot and work find unless I stressed it. I dont remember if there was a BSOD though...

I had the same exact issue last month. Turned out to be my Ballistix memory. I replaced it with a set of G Skill HZ & the blue screens were gone completely. If you are getting that STOP blue screen & then it resets, you most likely are having memory issues. Run a memtest as was mentioned earlier. Also, if you are Overclocking the CPU or GPU, bring them both back to stock speeds.

-DarkLegacy

I had the same exact issue last month. Turned out to be my Ballistix memory. I replaced it with a set of G Skill HZ & the blue screens were gone completely. If you are getting that STOP blue screen & then it resets, you most likely are having memory issues. Run a memtest as was mentioned earlier. Also, if you are Overclocking the CPU or GPU, bring them both back to stock speeds.

-DarkLegacy

That reminds me, I had problems with my Ballistix as well during install. They pretty much require 2.3 volts to run smoothly and the board at default was only giving them 2.0 or less. Once I upped the voltage they were fine.

Back