Weird problem

Mikey20

Gawd
Ok i upgraded my 2nd pc's videocard from a 5200 to a 9600pro so i decided i should just reformat the hardrive and do a fresh install of xp. Well for some reason with niether the 5200 nor the 9600pro i can't go into windows desktop without the monitor turning turning OFF the green led turns to orange like it goes into sleep mode or something. I haven't loaded any drivers yet but i have never had this issue before why you guys think this is happening?

If i go into safemode i can go into desktop no problems or in VGA mode though in VGA mode it works for some min then POOF the monitor goes to sleep mode. Any help please! :(

What is your display type? I've heard of a few firmware issues for particular models of LCD panels that sound similar to what you describe.

Well i actually tryed 2 different monitors and they both act the same way. I thought that the formatting of the hardrive and fresh install of xp would fix this weird issue but it didn't. The 9600pro is 8xAGP but the highest version of AGP that the motherboard supports is 4x AGP but isn't it backwards compatable? the 5200 was 8x and it worked fine....

hmm that is strange... One thing i have seen before is if you have one monitor hooked up (lets say 21 inch) and se the res to 1600x1200. Then you disco that monitor and hook up a 17 inch with a max res of 1024x768. It will show you everything fine till you get into windows, but when windows loads up and trys to activate the custom res, your monitor will shut off. I dont know if this is your case tho, since you said you reinstalled windows, which should have taken care of this.

your 5200 was AGP too correct not PCI?

not quite sure of anything else that would cause this, do you have a friends computer you can try the videocard on?

yes both cards are AGP and both monitors where 17" sometimes when i reboot i get NO SIGNAL from the monitor

does the agp aperature size matter the card is a 256mb but in the bios the agp aperature size is set to 128mb.....i just put in the 5200 and the problem STOPPED no longer does the monitor go into sleep mode ...i haven't loaded neither of the drivers yet....what is up with this? i know the card isn't bad because it works on this computer im currently on right now just fine....could it be the agp aperature size?

no, the AGP aperture shouldnt have anything to do with that. I'd blame the motherboard myself, but I am more prone to that. Have you tried Windows Safe Mode yet? Hit F8 repeatedly while the computer boots and see if the screen stays on. You might need to install video drivers from there.

in safemode all is good ....i tryed installing the drivers in safemode but doesn't let me for some reason....what is also interesting is that i don't get any BEEP errors when i boot up...just the normal BEEP ....i get to the desktop but after like 5 seconds monitor goes into sleep mode.

how can i find out what motherboard i have? so i can get the latest drivers? the 5200 works fine but the 9600pro just won't work

Back