Weird problem part deux. please help!

HRslammR

2[H]4U
Okay so last tuesday my PSU blew up. No problem right? got a new PSU. that's when this problem start arising and i have yet to completely solve it. When i turn my system on, the bios comes up, reads the BIOS, reads the CPU, reads the memory (even determining between single and dual channel) then reads the USB keyboard,mouse.

then just sits there.

At first i thought it was the memory, replaced that. was able to get into windows, did a fresh install. thought everything was all well and good right?

then i turned off my computer to go to bed one night, and the next morning. it wouldn't turn on. no fans, lights, spins. nothing. sometimes at random intervals, it would work fine. Turns out, the PSU was bad. (a week old PSU btw.) so i got another one, then this problem came up again. My system starts up, then just sits in the bios. i can't even get into the bios. i've got 4 sticks of ram and i've gone through every single one in every single spot. I've tried booting with no harddrives or optical drives attached, just video, RAM, and processor. nothing.

the absolutely only constants through this whole ordeal have been my video card (which i know works b/c i've put it into a different system and it works fine and i've tried a different VC but same problem), heatsink, some cables, power strip, computer strip.

up until just a week ago, my system had been completely stable without any problems, then all at once it just refuses to work.

i'm completely stumped, and out of ideas, trouble shooting.

how would the exact same problem happen to essentially two totally different systems? and is there anything i can do? has anybody seen this before?

on and for what it's worth i'll post the hardware changes i've gone through (my poor wallet!)
(original) (new)
CPU: AM2 socket 4600+ ----> AM2+ socket 9750 phenom
MOBO: MSI K9n4 ultra ----> ASUS m3a
memory: corsair 2x1gig 800mhz ----> corsair 2x2gig 800mhz
harddrive: WD 320gig ---> WD 500gig
soundcard: hercules fortissimo III ---> creative x-fi
PSU: antec 480watt (something cna't remember) ---> antec 550 neopower ----> BFG 550watt PSU.

2 possible problems. I had simular problems with my son's computer. I messed with it for 2 months before I found problems. even hooked up another computer and blew PS on it. (3 blown PS's)

1st. Had electrician friend check circuit he was using. He had a window AC on same circuit and that was what was blowing power supplys. Switched computer to another circuit. That problem solved.

2nd. This refers to boot and post problems. After several weeks scratching my head and trying everything, read someone's troubleshooting guide. I did a thorough inspection of the MB with magnifying glass and good light. The results was I found a leaking capacitor. MB dead. ReplacedMB with like board(all features the same) and moved all hardware to new board. Reformatted and reinstalled operating system and Bingo!!!. Computer came up and has been running fine for more than 3 months. No more problems.

Back