Weird Internal IP address: 192.168.253.131

dwayne001

Limp Gawd
I use a linksys router, WRT300N with my ancient laptop, an IBM Thinkpad, T23.

It's got a wireless card and a built in NIC card that both read that they're connected, yet, for some reason, I can't connect with either the router utility (192.168.1.1) OR the WAN/Internet via web or any other service over TCP/IP.

I was in teh cmd to make sure i had an IP address and woah! It was 192.168.253.130 on the wired connection and 192.168.253.131 on the wireless connection. These addresses are far and away weird compared to the normal 192.168.1.1xx addresses that the router is assigned to dole out.

Anyone know what's going on? I've tried to repair through XP, (the OS), I've ipconfig /released and /renewed, used different wired ports on the router and reinstalled the wireless card and reviewed the network settings of each network adapter against the ones in the computers that DO connect to the router and the net (which is how i'm posting this message).

Any suggestions? I really need some help.

thanks,
Dwayne

So, what's the problem? You can't connect to your router utility or you have a problem with your IP address?

So long as you're set up to use DHCP, then your default gateway (ipconfig /all) should be the IP of your router. And there's nothing wrong with a 192.168.153.x address; it's perfectly fine for an internal network.

To answer your question, Ben Chi-- They are NOT strategically dispensed by the router. The router is set up to assign the ips in order of who has connected first. It's allowed to lease up to 50 ip addresses ranging from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.149.

the fact that ipconfig shows me addresses that are listed as 192.168.253.131 which is totally outside of that range. Do you know how that happens or why it happens?

SockMan! The problem is that I cannot connect to neither the router utility nor the internet. I link the ip address to the problem because while the wireless says that it's connected to the SSID of my home network, the ip address it's getting, as well as the IP address of wired connection are out of the range of assigned IPs that the router's supposed to be giving out.

the default gateway information i'm getting from ipconfig is blank. the field is also blank in the machine that's working and that i'm using to send this message.

in the end, i can't connect to an otherwise working router and the ip on the machine that's not working is really, really off. am i erroneous in thinking that the two symptoms are related?

What if you browse to http://192.168.253.1 -- Since your subnet is 192.168.253.x, then the router should be reachable at 192.168.253.1

Worst case, use the manual reset button on the back (one of those small buttons that you have to press with a paper clip), this restores the router to factory presets and will completely wipe everything thats on there. At this point, you should get everything normally.

Maybe there's another DHCP server on your network? Or your DHCP server on the router was reconfigured with a different DHCP scope?

Sounds like you're getting a DHCP lease just fine; if you failed to get one then you'd be 'assigned' a 169.254.x.x address.

You've got a couple options. You can start guessing IP addresses and hope you get the router's IP. Start with 192.168.253.1. However, it'll probably be easier to just reset the thing.

I'm not sure what happened guys. I attempted to hit up 192.168.253.1 on mozilla and it didn't work...it just kinda stalled. I went back to ipconfig and lo and behold i was greeted with a 192.168.1.102 for the wired connection (i'd disabled the wireless card).

Long story short? It works. Not sure why, but thanks SO much for your responses. Should it ever happen in the future, i'll start by hitting up the root of whatever triad I get.

So thanks again.

What if you browse to http://192.168.253.1 -- Since your subnet is 192.168.253.x, then the router should be reachable at 192.168.253.1

What makes you think it's a /24?

This sounds like the router (incorrectly?) gave out a /16 subnet mask, in which case 192.168.1.1 would be reachable from anything in the 192.168.x.x range by simply broadcasting for it on 192.168.255.255.

It's too bad dwayne got it working again, I was curious. Do you remember if "Subnet Mask" in ipconfig was 255.255.0.0 and not 255.255.255.0?

I would reset the security on my wireless if I were you. It sounds like someone with a a rogue DHCP server connected to your network. Take a look at the logs and see if you can verify all of the MAC addresses. If any of them don't belong to you, change all of your security settings and scan for virii.

Well lucky for you guys it broke again. And what's more is that it's affected one of my roommate's computers and my same laptop as well. The .253 is taking over the machines!

going to 192.168.253.1 doesn't work either.

you never answered what your SSID was set to? It is possible one of your neighbors has the same SSID and you are latching onto their network. Have you tried changing your SSID to something new? Do you have anything else on your network that could be handing out DHCP?

Well lucky for you guys it broke again. And what's more is that it's affected one of my roommate's computers and my same laptop as well. The .253 is taking over the machines!

going to 192.168.253.1 doesn't work either.

Give yourself a static address of 192.168.1.2 on your wired connection, disable wireless, log into the router, reset the DHCP service to the default settings.

Back