Weird (and disappointing) eVGA 6800GT OC experience...

tristam

Limp Gawd
So i went and bought this evga 6800gt, installed it and got the 61.72 whql drivers, installed the coolbits thing, etc. So when i went to overclock it, i thought i'd find out how high the "autodetect" optimal frequencies thing would give me...

...so i try it the first time and it says 389mhz core or something lame like that (compared to most ppl's 425mhz+). The second time i try it, i get 401mhz core (second was like 30 seconds after the first try). I say to myself "weird, but lets go for it". I try it and even played farcry for awhile. Then i rebooted, got into windows and had fullscreen graphics fuck ups. it was messed up, i couldnt do a damn thing. So i turned off the computer, unplugged everything, and redid the wiring and plugs until one of the PSU's power cables was only hooked up to the video card, 1 hard drive, and the floppy drive. I boot up, and its 100% perfectly fine, no graphics errors or anything. Video card is at stock speeds.

NOW, after stability has been re-established, sometimes when i "detect optimal frequencies" it will go up to 400ish (never any higher than 402 , how lame :(), and sometimes runs for 2 seconds and the screen flashes and it goes back to stock speeds. Is the autodetection thing buggy or is it my card? I kind of want to return it for another one to see if it will have a better OC, cuz this one is very disappointing so far.

cliffs:
1. got an evga, OCed a bit (400mhz), got major gfx corruption
2. redid wiring, was stable, back at stock speeds
3. tried "detect optimal frequencies" at diff times of day, results vary randomly from stock to ~400mhz core (1.09ghz memory).
4. I don't understand.

OCing is the luck of the draw. The 6800GT is rated at 350/1000.

I wouldn't be too disappointed at 400/1000 or even 390/1000 considering the Ultra is only 400/1100. Getting the same speed as a $500 card is pretty great for $400.

Sounds like you had your expectations up too high...don't believe everything you read on here. ;) I haven't used the "auto-detect" yet but I heard of several people getting wildly different numbers each time they do it. I prefer the old fashioned way myself..

Wow you got something of a bum card there then. Mine does 430/1150, and there miight still be some headroom left on the memory too.

The Batman said:
Wow you got something of a bum card there then. Mine does 430/1150, and there miight still be some headroom left on the memory too.

lol its not a bum card

The memory on the 6800GT is 2.0ns, rated at 1000mhz. Meaning if you get more than 1000mhz its a bonus. And the 6800GT cores only are rated at 350mhz, again meaning if you get higher than 350mhz you got lucky with a core higher clocked.

If every 6800GT could do 400/1100 they would just call the 6800GT the 6800 Ultra :)

I to can not clock my eVGA card very high, i can manually get it up to about 400/1070 with the side off my case, when the AC is on in the basement, but not much higher. I need better cooling i know, but even at those clocks i'm happy the thing still works great.
Also my auto detect does not work at all, every time i've tried it it never budges from the stock speeds, oh well.

I can't clock mine that high, I think it's a power and heat issue(IE if it had a better heatsink, and a second molex, it'd do more than fine as a ultra)

I've got a 126CFM intake fan blowing down on the GT. Might be helping with the OC.

Those are kind of crappy results even if you had high expectations. I can push my card to 445/1200 max for benching, but i keep it at 420/1150 24/7, and have never had problems.

you can't complain about getting a stable 52 MHz overclock on the card. you just didn't happen to be as lucky as some other people. there are plenty of people who are OC'ing to lower speeds than you and aren't freaking out about it, yes it sucks, but there's nothing wrong with the card.

The Batman said:
I've got a 126CFM intake fan blowing down on the GT. Might be helping with the OC.

like i said... "cool it better"

as5/cearmique on the core... good airflow.

results!

i bet that thing screams eh batman?

Overclocking results on the 6800gt's seem to be closely related to power. Of course cooling is always top priority for overclocking. But it seems ppl with better powersupplies are getting the higher results. Then of course there's just luck of the draw. Ppl that return parts that work because it won't overclock as high as others irks me for some reason..

Ok, coolbits autodetect does not work that well. Try manually raising it. It autodetected my 5900 at 443/789, and I was able to push it to 463/934 stable. So you can see coolbits doesnt work that well. My card is 400/800 defualt, but coolbits detected 400/700. So yes coolbits is not that great. NVtuner works well.

2nd, you should buy a Vantec PCI fan card. It will put 2 fans directly under the card and reduced my cards temps by 20 degrees at full load! Best 20$ I have ever spent, and it has cool blue led lights.

There ya go.

400/1100 24 /7 now and rock solid. No special cooling solutions other than the side panel has an 80mm antec blowing out and I have two rears blowing out and two intakes. :p

Maybe getting the PCP&C realy was worth the exstra money ;)

Manually overclock it, don't use the auto detect, and don't uncheck the (nvidia's) NvCpl,and
NvMcTray in msconfig.might help

Auto detect sucks. Go 5MHz at a time until you get problems. My Auto detect said 380MHz. Yet my card can run for days looping 3D stuff at 415MHz problem free at 75C.

PS: Most people aren't getting 425, either =)

Better power supply = better overclock as far as 6800's go seems to be about the way its going.

well thanks guys for the replies, currently running at 400mhz core and ~1050 memory...seems totally stable. Good enough i suppose, being almost Ultra speeds

CSx-2011 said:
like i said... "cool it better"

as5/cearmique on the core... good airflow.

results!

i bet that thing screams eh batman?

I've had her up to 440/1200 before without it artifacting but I decided not to push my luck. That's almost Ultra Extreme speeds!

well, i just found out something interesting...you know that "ceiling" people hit when they clock too high on their GTs, when their 3dmark goes from ~12k to like 8500ish? I got that at 400mhz core...dropped it down to 375 and got 11561...hah. Now taking it up 5mhz at a time and running 3dmark03 each time to see where my "ceiling" is...man, this is really a gay card as far as OCing goes...i wonder if my PSU is bad...(Tt 420w active PFC)

I have the eVGA 6800GT. It will run solid @ 420/1150, but slows down any higher. I run it at 415/1150 all the time with no problems.

I agree most people hit a limit @ 420, but there are definately people who get lucky and hit higher.

If you can get it to 400/1100, then it's still an improvement.

tristam said:
well, i just found out something interesting...you know that "ceiling" people hit when they clock too high on their GTs, when their 3dmark goes from ~12k to like 8500ish? I got that at 400mhz core...dropped it down to 375 and got 11561...hah. Now taking it up 5mhz at a time and running 3dmark03 each time to see where my "ceiling" is...man, this is really a gay card as far as OCing goes...i wonder if my PSU is bad...(Tt 420w active PFC)

I never knew that it. Well it explains why I was getting such cruddy scores.

The Batman said:

your kidding? in your sig it says "eVGA 6800GT 430/1150 | 62C Idle | 74C Load"

All I have is a PCI slot fan right underneath and I get 55 idle low 60's load

jsn117 said:
your kidding? in your sig it says "eVGA 6800GT 430/1150 | 62C Idle | 74C Load"

All I have is a PCI slot fan right underneath and I get 55 idle low 60's load

I doubt you are getting low 60's load. Is this running the NALU demo, or Realtime HDR light demo? if you are measuring by exiting a game, you are dropping 15C before you can even see the control panel.

Back