WD4000YR (RE2) vs WD4000KD (SE16) for Raid 0

jcc39

Weaksauce
Ok, I am planning to buy two large capacity drives to run raid 0 off the onboard ICH5R controller on my Asus P4C800-E dlx. The rig will be mainly used for gaming and HTPC duties, watching movies and listening to MP3's and surfing the net. I read up on the differences here: http://www.storagereview.com/php/cms/cms.php?loc=news_content&id=1010
but I'm still confused as to what will work best for a raid 0 setup. I understand that the RE2 has TLER enabled, and this is good for raid setups other than raid 0 which is what I'll be running. Does anyone know if TLER can be disabled or if this will hurt a raid 0 setup? Right now the RE2 is like $5-$10 more than the SE16, but it has 2 more years on the warranty. Performance wise they look pretty close. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

The drives are physically identical, they come off the same assembly line. There are some firmware differences and the RE goes through tougher burn-in/testing to justify marketing them as enterprise drives with a five year warranty.

Will you be backing up this array? (No kids, this isn't RAID-0 bashing, 800GB needs to be backed up, fault tolerant or not)

Back