WD P10 gaming hdd

buschman31

2[H]4U
i have a question. Just bought an used WD Black P10 game drive (5tb) from a pawnshop. I'm assuming it was used as an ext. game hdd. Getting home i connected it to my usb 3.0 hub and then to the usb 3.0 port of the mobo. both times in control panel disk management its only showing as disk 3 unknown--not initialized.

In Aomei partition shows it as basic mbr 0.00kb

So is it possible all partitions and just wipe the drive clean and reuse it for pc use? I dont have a game console so any info/games is useless to me. Or i'm not doing something right in clearing this hdd?

i have a question. Just bought an used WD Black P10 game drive (5tb) from a pawnshop. I'm assuming it was used as an ext. game hdd. Getting home i connected it to my usb 3.0 hub and then to the usb 3.0 port of the mobo. both times in control panel disk management its only showing as disk 3 unknown--not initialized.

In Aomei partition shows it as basic mbr 0.00kb

So is it possible all partitions and just wipe the drive clean and reuse it for pc use? I dont have a game console so any info/games is useless to me. Or i'm not doing something right in clearing this hdd?
It will show up like that if it was formatted for use with a Xbox console. You should be able to just use DiskPart to format it to a standard PC one. I will mention that I have tried one of these in the past and it failed within a couple weeks. WD sent me a replacement and it also failed. I don't know if that particular pawn shop tests hard drives, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's dead. I'd stick to their MyBook brand as I've never had an issue with those over the years.

yea i'm trying to follow the directions on using diskpart. not doing a good job. I will keep trying maybe i'll get it right, hopefully.

open an admin cmd prompt, type:
diskpart
list disk
select disk #(that is listed as that drive)
clean

you should then be able to partition and format it however you want via disk management.

nope it didnt work. thought i would go the WD support to see if it is still under warranty and luck would be that it is until 2025.

UPDATE: WD will be sending a replacement after i send in the WD P10 hdd.

Last edited:
I have a WD Black P10 game drive in the 4Tb size that came from Best Buy new and never an issue so far, WD makes software to download for these drives to take care of them, it is part of my Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX setup, I have a WD Black SN770 1Tb drive in NvMe slot 1 that runs the software for me and it controls that P10 also, WD Black is all linked together now and it will even tell me the temp that the P10 is running at, mine I think is made for PC and not XBox, best place for games like World of Tanks / World of Warships with the never ending patches.

Back