WD Easystore 18TB $200

I can't remember, if you shuck it, what sort of drive is inside?
They have generally been white labeled version of WD Red drives. Back in the day they were actually Red drives in there, my 8TB is from that era.
All the white label ones I have shucked have had to have the SATA power pin 3 mod done, either tape the pin on the drive or remove the 3.3v power from the PSU cable, or put into a dock or hot swap tray that doesn't use 3.3v.
You can also use a Molex to SATA adapter but make sure the SATA connector isn't molded but crimped since there have been fire issues with the molded type.

Crimped on top and molded on the bottom
IMG_6170.JPEG

Last edited:
Ohhh, my TrueNAS system is in need of some new drives. Ima going to need some more memory for a pool that big...........

Edit: Limit 5 :mad:

From the BB Q&A section: "I got a WD180EMFZ in mine. Also showing up as a Ultrastar DC HC550 per the R/N. Running at 5400 RPM according to hdtune."
Keep in mind that while they may say HC550, it's not an enterprise drive now even if it once was. ;)

In that case, should go the big storage route, I'll pay the extra $80 per drive to get the Exos 20TB models from NewEgg.

These are at a record for $/TB at $11.11/TB--the lowest easystore price ever seen. And the Exos are at $14/TB but also have more than double the warranty and probably higher performance as well since they are true enterprise drives.

Luke M Thank you bought some for back ups drives.

I do not think its really worth shucking these days with the anti shucking connectors and manufacturer certified refurbished enterprise drives with 2 or 5 year warranty are cheaper then externals. Last year I bought 18 tb exos from server parts deals for $194 each which is cheaper then these and earlier this year goharddrive had western digital enterprise 14 tb for $113 each.

I do not think its really worth shucking these days with the anti shucking connectors and manufacturer certified refurbished enterprise drives with 2 or 5 year warranty are cheaper then externals. Last year I bought 18 tb exos from server parts deals for $194 each which is cheaper then these and earlier this year goharddrive had western digital enterprise 14 tb for $113 each.
Yep those are some very cheap per TB costs, if one can handle the refurbished status as well as the seller warranty.

For more saving you could also create a SAS drive slot on your machine. Big SAS disks often come along cheap.

For more saving you could also create a SAS drive slot on your machine. Big SAS disks often come along cheap.
I was going to mention this as well since the deals on 8TB SAS were quite plentiful at $45 a while back--$5.625/TB.

I use two of these as a mirrored storage spaces drive that I backup to, which then backs up to backblaze and a local truenas system. Once you've lost everything once, you never will again! LOL.

Wait so these have the weird connectors? I can't just put these into my nas?

Wait so these have the weird connectors? I can't just put these into my nas?
They require the pin 3 3.3v to be bypassed otherwise they won't spin up. You can put kapton tape on the pin and plug it into your NAS if it doesn't power up without the tape.

They require the pin 3 3.3v to be bypassed otherwise they won't spin up. You can put kapton tape on the pin and plug it into your NAS if it doesn't power up without the tape.
Well my my ds920+ saw the shucked drive. Yay! No mod necessary. The drive was WD180EDGZ in mine.

I think the Seagate Exos X18 is $179 this weekend. I have a couple in my Synology and it works fine.

Back