WD Caviar Black??

ATITek

Limp Gawd
I bought a WD Caviar Black 1TB. Does anyone else who owns this drive notice it is loud?

It makes a deep rumble when it seeks. I have a fully aluminum case with the drive soft mounted in the front.

I have 3 and they are pretty quiet. You might have one that is going out. My very first one lasted 9 days and I don't recall if it was loud or anything.

Many reviews state it is a "loud" drive. What do they mean then if the rumble seek is not what they are talking about?

Many reviews state it is a "loud" drive. What do they mean then if the rumble seek is not what they are talking about?

Reviews by who? It's a very quite drive. One of the quietest I've ever owned.

My Black 1TB is unnoticeable in my soft-mounted Lian, but that case is water-cooled with plenty of fans and a noisy GTX280. Mounted in an air-cooled Antec 300 running the GTX fan lower, the seeks are noticeable.

If you've got really quiet fans, or an open setup, I can see how the 1TB black would be quite noisy. Far, far, quieter than the OLD 40GB's in old family computers though.

The WD 1TB Black tends to run a bit louder and hotter then the average 1TB 7200rpm drive. I found it loud too, but not much louder then my Seagate 1TB 7200.12. I have an older WD 1TB black though.

Any review I have read says this drive is loud. Yet I do not know what is a considered good hard drive noise vs bad for a "loud" drive. I do not hear it during normal operations (like surfing the web), but during heavy bursts of seeking it makes a deep rumble.

I have only two days to format and exchange it if I feel it is bad. The drive has passed all extended and quick SMART tests.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article904-page3.html [Review saying it is loud]

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...al-caviar-black-1tb-hard-drive-review-14.html [Review saying it is loud]

The HD does seem silent when I get close to it. The fans are not making noise so could it be something else?

Last edited:
My 640GB Black makes a noticeable noise when it seeks and I can hear it over my 7 120mm case fans, big fan on top of the antec 1200, and my two gtx 280s. Granted all of these are on their lowest setting and my cards are at idle temps, so the case is pretty quiet. It is something that I have just recently started to notice after installing another Intel X-25M G2 so maybe I messed something up when I remounted the HDD. It isnt that bad though.

Back