Waterproof Power Strip?

Who needs a waterproof power strip? Water is no obsticle to the determined :p :

crazy-men-in-pool.jpg

I'd like proof it is <insert favorite 2-yer old's name> resistant. Juice, milk, yoohoo! water and drool resistant!

lol, water resistant not water proof... I wouldn't trust my life to something like that...

I would never trust that, but sadly I know several people who would think it is a great idea to try.

I once had water wick its way up a cable, for an aquarium pump, and flooded a cheapo power strip. I head an electric crackle, saw a brief flash, and quickly unplugged the powerstrip. There were some burn marks, on one outlet, but nothing plugged in was damaged.

That power strip + an extra GFI at the outlet should be pretty safe.

lol, water resistant not water proof... I wouldn't trust my life to something like that...
The article makes it pretty clear it's meant to be waterproof. Only mineral buildup over time is why they recommend against it being used completely submerged over the long term.

More impressively, it's immune to tweezers. It looks like the receptacle can be used immediately after being shorted. Better than GFI as it doesn't interrupt the circuit.

That power strip + an extra GFI at the outlet should be pretty safe.
Yeah, but I can't imagine this being used in a location where a GFI would normally be installed. Kind of the point, I guess.

really cool product, i hope other manufacturers start to follow suit and include these safety features in their products.. but, the english voiceover of the chinese speaking lady on you tube was kinda odd... its also odd that the company only accepts paypal.....

Kaspersky ISS 2010 just freaked out at the link in Post #4. :confused:

I don't think I would tempt fate with such a power strip though. Risk of electrical fire and death and what not. Anyone actually have a (reasonable) application for this kind of thing?

I don't think I would tempt fate with such a power strip though. Risk of electrical fire and death and what not. Anyone actually have a (reasonable) application for this kind of thing?

ditto for sophos, some kind of malware there.

If it can be done, someone will produce a product that can do it. In this case, a waterproof power strip.

i have a power strip under my end table next to my couch in the living room. drinks will be spilled around it and im friggin paranoid. maybe this would help alleviate my concern?

the temperature/arching/short protections are awesome! and should be a part of every powerstrip.

HOWEVER, a powerstrip being waterproof doesn't guarantee complete water safety!
it just takes a millimeter of bare insulation near the connector (which happens a lot, especially when disconnecting appliances by pulling on the cable) to BURN DOWN YOUR HOUSE.

I already own a power strip that works in water, we all do... Deionized water that is. Even that's a scary thought.

I can't get over the fact that the metal conductors between the actual plug and receptacle are still live and can electrocute someone. This pic is a liability suit waiting to happen. If there was a steady stream of water spraying at the receptacles, plugs and your hand, while you're actually plugging it in, then get ready for a new perm and a little taser dance.

I already own a power strip that works in water, we all do... Deionized water that is. Even that's a scary thought.

I can't get over the fact that the metal conductors between the actual plug and receptacle are still live and can electrocute someone. This pic is a liability suit waiting to happen. If there was a steady stream of water spraying at the receptacles, plugs and your hand, while you're actually plugging it in, then get ready for a new perm and a little taser dance.

Why would you purposefully attempt something like that?

Why would you purposefully attempt something like that?

Oh hell no... You first. J/K... :D

In my book (I do design and manufacture commercial ovens and refrigerators for a living) waterproof also means splash proof. Imagine a commercial kitchen where there was a spill and some guy is walking with a bucket on wheels and mop to clean it. The area was probably slippery already and the guy slips and bucket goes flying causing a stream of water to spray at another guy who coincidentally is plugging in a food processor (yes, they unplug and plug every time to save working space) and tada an "un-purposefully" real life situation where the key elements as described in my last post can happen.

It doesn't need to be on purpose with electricity. Water and electricity just don't mix. They've got some real balls if they're going to market with this. I'm actually going to follow this for a while, stupid as it is.

I've got 5 grand invested in a salt water aquarium. you can bet your tuckus that if they had a power strip that could resist some drops of water in case one of my drip lines fails i'd be all over it.

Oh hell no... You first. J/K... :D

In my book (I do design and manufacture commercial ovens and refrigerators for a living) waterproof also means splash proof. Imagine a commercial kitchen where there was a spill and some guy is walking with a bucket on wheels and mop to clean it. The area was probably slippery already and the guy slips and bucket goes flying causing a stream of water to spray at another guy who coincidentally is plugging in a food processor (yes, they unplug and plug every time to save working space) and tada an "un-purposefully" real life situation where the key elements as described in my last post can happen.

It doesn't need to be on purpose with electricity. Water and electricity just don't mix. They've got some real balls if they're going to market with this. I'm actually going to follow this for a while, stupid as it is.

They described it as something that will not provide current unless the device is fully plugged in. Not only that, but one of their videos demonstrated the lady pouring water on the device with a light plugged in, then unplugging the light and plugging it into another wet socket. It works, apparently.

Look at it this way, if it doesn't, they will go down so fast and so hard.... it would make your head spin :D.

Appologies if it is malware and not a false positive. The Symantec Endpoint Protection on this (work) PC didn't throw up any alarms. I'm not in any way affiliated with that site, I just got it from a google image search.

I reported the post to a Mod asking the link be pulled.

And I also want proof it really is water, not Hydrofluoroether or something.
Pure water doesn't really conduct electricity very well. Even just plain distilled water you buy in jugs at the grocery store is pretty darn non-conductive. It is the stuff that comes in the fancy bottles or out of the tap or found outside that you have to worry about. Any kind of salt-water is pretty conductive.

And I also want proof it really is water, not Hydrofluoroether or something.

Pure water doesn't conduct electricity anyways. So have fun playing with electricity and water. Just don't expose it to the air.

I've got 5 grand invested in a salt water aquarium. you can bet your tuckus that if they had a power strip that could resist some drops of water in case one of my drip lines fails i'd be all over it.

I also have quite a bit of money in a saltwater aquarium. If this works, it might be worth the investment, but as it is keeping all electrical equipment and power strips off the floor/screwed to the wall and wired to GFCIs should be sufficient.

Appologies if it is malware and not a false positive. The Symantec Endpoint Protection on this (work) PC didn't throw up any alarms. I'm not in any way affiliated with that site, I just got it from a google image search.

I reported the post to a Mod asking the link be pulled.

Kaspersky reported it as:
7/6/2010 2:07:10 PM Denied: Trojan.JS.Redirector.cw [original url]
7/6/2010 2:07:10 PM Denied: [random url] (analysis according to the base of phishing web addresses) URL found in the base

No mod attempt to remove the link as of yet, somehow. :eek:

My dog urinated on one of my surge protectors one night, almost burned the house down. I can see the market in this i guess.

I believe the ad is fake, they probably use distilled water since is not a conductor or even better mineral oil :D

Back