Watercooling an eVGA 7800 GTX KO Edition

p0intblank

Limp Gawd
I'm looking into getting the mentioned 7800GTX and I plan on watercooling and I was wondering what would be best for the KO edition since it has the beefed up stock heatsink. I'll be using an EXOS-2 system with 3/8" tubing throughout and wasnt sure if just passive cooling the RAM with a Maze4 on it would be enuff. Any opinions on this?

yes, passive on the ram will be just fine (I assume by passive you mean ramsinks?)

you coudl go with a cooler that hits the memory too, but most of the tests I've seen havn't shown much performance increase (if any) and a much larger price tag.

Ok cool, yeah I meant ramsinks. After I posted this I looked at more GTXs and found another one clocked at the same speeds as the KO edition with a regular heatsink so that helped me out. Thanks.

p0intblank said:
Ok cool, yeah I meant ramsinks. After I posted this I looked at more GTXs and found another one clocked at the same speeds as the KO edition with a regular heatsink so that helped me out. Thanks.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
why buy a KO when ur watercooling? save a few bucks and get a regular GTX

perhaps for the stock overclock?

there are quirtre a few other cards out there, for htat matter i think evga has a car d clocked exactly the same htat is not the KO edition costin a ton more money.

so yea no offense bu if you plan to buy the card and watercoolin at the same time, its only smart to buy any other version besides the KO version.

as for the ram. you can get ramsinks with most gpu blocks as an accessory, or you could just leave the stock sinks on the ram that come with the card.

My questions is, is it really necessary to have any sort of heatsink or cooling on the RAM? i am thinking about putting a block on my 7800 GTX but I would not be putting RAM sinks on it.

I've heard that the NV-68 / NV-78's arent really worth it with the price tag, especially from the 6800 series. Can anyone prove otherwise?

Back