water tube passing through case - design question

FluidG

Weaksauce
I have a 1/2" ID external watercooling system. I want to drill 2 holes in the back of my case and stick a brass tube connector there. I will clamp the external hoses to the outside and the internal tubing to the inside.

here is a MS Paint pic:
tempPic.JPG

My question is that since the brass connector will be in direct contact with my metal computer case, will it have any electrical effect on the water flowing through it (no insulator between the metals)? I don't know a better way to ask this, but that's the best I can think of now.

You'll want to use an anti-corrosive in your water. But, why don't you just use a plastic coupler instead? Mcmaster sells 'em cheap.

Why mess around with the copper tubing ?
Why not just do it the right way and use rubber groments with the tubing going through them, less restrictive and as a more finished look !

I wouldn't worry about it if you run some antifreeze. Yes you are establishing an electrical connection there, but the other components would also have to be grounded, and this may or may not be the case. Either way, stick with copper/brass if possible and there's nothing to worry about.

oldbrave said:
Why mess around with the copper tubing ?
Why not just do it the right way and use rubber groments with the tubing going through them, less restrictive and as a more finished look !

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about :confused: Also it's just a brass 1/2" tube barbed splice. I wanted to use plastic but they didn't have what I wanted at Ace

thewhiteguy said:
I wouldn't worry about it if you run some antifreeze. Yes you are establishing an electrical connection there, but the other components would also have to be grounded, and this may or may not be the case. Either way, stick with copper/brass if possible and there's nothing to worry about.

It is something to worry about if he uses brass and his rad is aluminum, and his block is copper. That's corrosion city right there.

Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and peruse their plastic fitting section....

How about getting a pair of pass-thru fittings?

They are basically two barbs joined end.to.end, with threaded circumference in the middle, and two nuts. Stick thru hole, tighten the nuts until it holds, add hose, done. They are avalible in anodized aluminium, so no corrosien problems there.

I think the main reason people don't buy them is because a set costs WAY too much...

Quick disconnects do cost a bit, but you also have a built in way to drain and flush your system outside your case with no chance of spilling water on your high dollar parts and costing you alot more.

DSC00865.JPG

Bio-Hazard said:
Quick disconnects do cost a bit, but you also have a built in way to drain and flush your system outside your case with no chance of spilling water on your high dollar parts and costing you alot more.

True... I may have to pick some up for my setup...

IMG_4730.jpg

Even though you can't see it, I have holes cut in the back with rubber grommets from McMaster.

Back