Water Cooling the P182

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
I'm looking to water cool my second PC. I've already got the case, and all the water cooling hardware.

I've got a Swiftech MCP655-B pump, and the res and all of that stuff. So I guess I need to ask, where the hell would you put the pump? Anywhere seems to be too cramped for it to fit anywhere. Now I have some interesting possibilities if I could mount it sideways, but I don't know if the pump will be ok being sideways mounted. Also, the radiator will be top mounted instead of being mounted on the back. Any thoughts on that?

You can remove the upper hdd cage and place the pump in that space.

Actually removing that cage adds no real extra clearance. I was hoping to mount it inside the cage and mount the reservior on the other side of the cage. (On the outside.)

Problem is that I don't think there is enough clearance to mount it there.

There is plenty of clearance if you remove the cage, I have seen it done before. Check out the P180 thread in case mods I believe there is a picture of it there.

Just moved my system into the 182 a few days ago, here's the layout:

looks good...:cool:

the 182...im ass-uming antec 182?
I have the antec 180P an it looks like that inside..
I know not alot of people like the thermaltake kit but the pump mounts with the resivour on the 5 1/4" drive bay.... will see how 2 of them fit soon.. but not in my antec case..

thinking a army ammo can.. they fit... :D

There is plenty of clearance if you remove the cage, I have seen it done before. Check out the P180 thread in case mods I believe there is a picture of it there.

I doubt it. I'm looking at it and it doesn't seem feasable. Are you talking about the top or bottom cage? The bottom cage yes, but I need those drive bays if possible.

I made a little alu bracket for mine
100_1687.jpg

I'm thinking it would be worth the 75.00's to get a DDC and call it a day as that would lend to a much easier installation.

All that room and you cant fit the pump in the case.....

I have the DCC in my V300 build, its ok, the flow rate is a bit week, and the pump runs warmer than my Ehime 1250. Part of that might be only having a 80mm RAD (SFF case)

Its to the point I put a fan on the pump lol. hopefully when I get a secound 80mm RAD it will keep the pump a bit cooler.

On the bright side the dead silent, small as hell, and 12v!

the B is just a cheap version with no speed controller..

Both at 317gph, 24watt, 2a pumps.

EDIT: Ohh more powerfully than the 350/355, hell yea it is. I would have loved to fit on in my v300, but when space is a problem the 350 cant be beat.

Not much of a loss when compared to the MCP655-B...... I pretty good choice and would lend to a much easier placement. You can get the drive bay adaptor and mount it there.

http://www.petrastechshop.com/laddcwpeddto.html

Specifications (w/18W DDC-2):

Model: DDCT-01s
Top Dimensions: 67mm x 62mm x 23mm
Materiel: Black Delrin/Acetal
Surface Finish: Smooth & Matte
Inlet/Outlet Thread Type: G1/4 (1/4" BSPP)
Max. Head Pressure (at 12V): 8.2 psig (18.91 feet - 5.76m)
Max. Discharge (at 12V): 4.11 GPM (246.6 GPH - 15.56 LPM/933.5 LPH)
Included Accessories: (2x) 1/2" D-Tek High-Flow fittings or 1/2" EK High-Flow fittings & (4x) 25mm Stainless Steel M4 Phillips Head screws

Specifications (w/18W DDC-3.2):

Model: DDCT-01s
Inlet/Outlet Thread Type: G1/4 (1/4" BSPP)
Max. Head Pressure (at 12V): 5.6 psig (12.92 feet - 3.94m)
Max. Discharge (at 12V): 4.19 GPM (251.4 GPH - 15.86 LPM/951.65 LPH)

the B is just a cheap version with no speed controller..

Both at 317gph, 24watt, 2a pumps.

EDIT: Ohh more powerfully than the 350/355, hell yea it is. I would have loved to fit on in my v300, but when space is a problem the 350 cant be beat.

Yeah I realize the MCP655-B doesn't have the speed controller. (I don't feel I need that feature anyway.)

I've seen the DDC at Microcenter, but I wasn't sure how good it was compared to the MCP655-B. That really sounds like the way to go.

Yeah I realize the MCP655-B doesn't have the speed controller. (I don't feel I need that feature anyway.)

I've seen the DDC at Microcenter, but I wasn't sure how good it was compared to the MCP655-B. That really sounds like the way to go.

Yea I don't see the point of a speed controller either. My thoughts on the 350 vs 655 is this. If space is not a problem go for the 655! High flow rates is almost always better. The 350 is pretty week, but when space is a problem there is not much you can do.

I have both, and sound noise wise, there about the same if you mount them right.

Well all that is going to get cooled in that case is the CPU. So that should be more than sufficient to cool it.

I am sorry Dan, when I meant remove the Drive Cage in my mind I was thinking of the 3 1/2" drive bay cage. It is actually really easy to remove. Just drill out 8 rivets and it comes right off (with a little bit of flexing). I kept mine and I could probably reinstall it in the future with screws if I ever wanted to.

As for the noise, I agree with AndyM. There are harmonic noises with the D5. I find it quietest at somewhere between 3 and 4 on the speed dial, simply due to the nature of the sound at the different speeds and what makes it through the P180 case and what doesn't.

I am sorry Dan, when I meant remove the Drive Cage in my mind I was thinking of the 3 1/2" drive bay cage. It is actually really easy to remove. Just drill out 8 rivets and it comes right off (with a little bit of flexing). I kept mine and I could probably reinstall it in the future with screws if I ever wanted to.

As for the noise, I agree with AndyM. There are harmonic noises with the D5. I find it quietest at somewhere between 3 and 4 on the speed dial, simply due to the nature of the sound at the different speeds and what makes it through the P180 case and what doesn't.

I see. Makes sense now. I'll probably grab the DDC pump and install it in the 5 1/2 bay. Seems like the easiest thing to do. I already had to do some drilling and cutting on my P190 to make it work for my water cooling needs. I am trying to make this installation as tool-less as possible.

lol... Dan.D changes his rigs more often than i change my underpants, he prolly wont even be using the same hardware or case by now yet alone looking for help watercooling it all:D

whoa, how did you remove the bottom platform under the hd tray. dremel???

It is held in by a couple of rivets. All you need to do is take a drill or a dremel and drill out the rivets. It doesn't actually do anything to the case, just chews up the rivets. You can then put it back together later if you want with more rivets or screws.

If you really want to play with Mrs Dremel and Mr Screwdriver, it may end up like this ...

It's my current setup (3 years old, opty 165 @ 2.6ghz).
Last November, I replaced the x800xt with a 8800GT, and it's still dead silent.
( please don't look at the poor wiring job !! )

mod0.jpg

rad1.jpg

mod1.jpg

mod2.jpg

mod3.jpg

mod4.jpg

Setup:
Heatercore : Pontiac Bonneville ' 77 - without AC
Fan Shroud : homemade - aluminum
CPU block : Swiftech Apogee
NB block : Swiftech MCW30
GPU block : DangerDen Maze 4