Water cooling system

drpunkerz

Weaksauce
hello,
my friend just got a new Asetek Complete water cooling system V2. He is having some trouble with it. His idle temp is 113ish F. Full load is around 120 F. His raidiator is in his drive bay but is well vented.
his pics of his comp are here
http://me_in_person.tripod.com/computer.html
might not have full bandwidth back yet. cheap tripod.....
please help my friend out. if you have any questions/comments e-mail him at [email protected]
PLZ!:eek:

Right off the bat a few things struck me.
1) That is a very restrictive loop. 3 blocks, 3/8" tubing and a tiny, restrictive looking reservior is a hell of a job for a pump that small. I would suggest going with something capable of 300 GPH.

2) The radiator looks like any heat it's bleeding off is going right back into the case thus raising the ambient case temp. Since the rad is inside the case as well, any rise in ambient temp will also reduce heat removal from the Rad. The Radiator should either bleed it's heat to the outside or pull cooler outside air in.

3) A reservior that size may be good for removing air bubbles, but other than that is nothing but a restriction. A larger reservior will increase the system's capacity which will give the water more time to dissapate heat. More capacity = more effective. An external, rear case mounted reservior would be a much better solution.

I hope this helps.

so should he rearrange where is radiator is to where a case fan is blowing right on it? cause i don't think he wants to buy anything else for it

I run a 3 block 3/8" setup and have nice temps. 32c while tpying right now isn't too bad for a machine thats been up for a week. Under load, it goes up to about 40c. Larger tubing is nice, but just having smaller tubing doesnt mean your setup's going to perform badly.

Your bigest issue is airflow, you need to isolate either the intake or exhaust of that radiator. Work on that part first, since that is most likely your main culprit.

You need to re-locate the rad, either make a blowhole at the top of the case to mount your rad assy to, or make an inlet at the bottom of the front panel.

If you go for the front panel, make sure you have enough fans to exhaust that hot air out.

There are other ways too, but these two spots are easy to do.

ok we will try that. thanks guys hope this works out for him b/c would hate to see a perfectly good water coolin kit go to waste.

if you look at many of the systems in the watercooling pic thread, you will see good examples of blowhole mount and front panel mount rads. Even a few rear panel mount setups, pedestal setups, external boxes, etc.

Back