Water Cooled Xbox 360 @ [H]

PC said:
Actually, this one was the first. http://cgi.ebay.com/Modded-Xbox-360...ryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But, I would hardly call it anything but shit. The pics are gone now, thank god. I wish I would have saved them. It had the rad & pump just laying in his underwear drawer (yes, you could see his boxers in there.). VERY unprofessional. Very shitty job. But, technically, it was first.

He took a PC WC kit and put it on the 360, hacking the shit out of it to get it to work. Cables, hoses, parts everywhere.

Great job on doing a very clean install. :D The first GOOD WC'ed 360!:)

Yeah, the kid put a waterblock ON TOP OF the heatpipe cooler...I kid you not...the water block was not attached to the CPU, it sat across the top of the fins of the heat pipe through a hole cut in the side of the console.

I have pics of that one somewhere, I'll dig them up and post ;) Funny stuff.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hold on i see that you guys used two Koolance L06's but on the last page of the review it says you guys had clearance problems so you exchange it for the H06? My question is did you guys switch it out with two H06's? or you guys use a L06 and H06 together? Im confused...lol. Oh yea also what kind of thermal compound was used?

I don't mean to step on any toes, but the article does not mention what resevoir/pump was used in the mod. Is this because you can't buy them separately from Koolance?

nichol said:
I don't mean to step on any toes, but the article does not mention what resevoir/pump was used in the mod. Is this because you can't buy them separately from Koolance?

Page 2, they are hard to find on the Koolance site because they aren't under a real category, they are under RM1 & RM2 series.

http://www.koolance.com/shop/default.php?cPath=30_52

Carbon_Le said:
Hold on i see that you guys used two Koolance L06's but on the last page of the review it says you guys had clearance problems so you exchange it for the H06? My question is did you guys switch it out with two H06's? or you guys use a L06 and H06 together? Im confused...lol. Oh yea also what kind of thermal compound was used?

It says in the article that the GPU block only was changed. The height of the water inlet barbs would make contact with the bottom of the DVD drive. So I swapped it for the ultra-low profile H06.

Steve said:
It says in the article that the GPU block only was changed. The height of the water inlet barbs would make contact with the bottom of the DVD drive. So I swapped it for the ultra-low profile H06.

So both GPU L06 were exchange for H06. Will you guys be updating pics? I would really like to see it. :D

PC said:
Actually, this one was the first. http://cgi.ebay.com/Modded-Xbox-360...ryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But, I would hardly call it anything but shit. The pics are gone now, thank god. I wish I would have saved them. It had the rad & pump just laying in his underwear drawer (yes, you could see his boxers in there.). VERY unprofessional. Very shitty job. But, technically, it was first.

He took a PC WC kit and put it on the 360, hacking the shit out of it to get it to work. Cables, hoses, parts everywhere.

Great job on doing a very clean install. :D The first GOOD WC'ed 360!:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Modded-Xbox-360...ryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I clicked on the link to the sellers "other items", and the guy has the same painted 360 that didn't sell before (water cooled), silver, exact same window mod in it...NO H20 set up. I thought it was sitting on top of the fins of the original Xbox heatpipe....apparently it was just sitting on the window.

Pictures compared:

http://www.****************************/odd_mod.jpg

Carbon_Le said:
So both GPU L06 were exchange for H06. Will you guys be updating pics? I would really like to see it. :D

There are two water blocks. One CPU, one GPU. The GPU block was changed. L06 and the H06 are the exact same block they just have different angled inlet/outlets.

Steve said:
There are two water blocks. One CPU, one GPU. The GPU block was changed. L06 and the H06 are the exact same block they just have different angled inlet/outlets.

Ok thx for clearing that up. I guess my 360 will be getting wet soon...hopefully. ;)

Steve said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Modded-Xbox-360...ryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I clicked on the link to the sellers "other items", and the guy has the same painted 360 that didn't sell before (water cooled), silver, exact same window mod in it...NO H20 set up. I thought it was sitting on top of the fins of the original Xbox heatpipe....apparently it was just sitting on the window.

Pictures compared:

Once again: Your 360 is the worlds first! :D

That guy should be busted on fraud for the 360 not really being watercooled, and him trying to sell it as so.

That watercooling setup should definitely help keep things running. If i ever get a 360 that's exactly what I'm going to do whether MS has addressed the issue or not in a revision build. Paranoia might set me to build a bigger reservoir than that, but hey, I always said I wanted an aquarium.... LOL j/k

Kyle/Steve:

Any pictures of the tubing holes in the casing? I'm not 100% clear on where they've been drilled.

I'm looking to watercool my 360 using a Zalman Reserator and it would be helpful to see pictures of the rear of your unit showing the tubing, both with the casing on and off.

Now lets get a water cooler for the power brick...

Nicely done though guys.

moar pics please!
I want to see the system installed inside the case also....do these pics exist?

jebo_4jc said:
I want to see the system installed inside the case also....do these pics exist?

It is an external H20 mod.

fannypad said:
Kyle/Steve:

Any pictures of the tubing holes in the casing? I'm not 100% clear on where they've been drilled.

The holes can be drilled anywhere you find space for them, your mileage may vary. We chose to drill two spots right in the middle of the serial number on your console.

Steve said:
It is an external H20 mod.
Right, but I was hoping to see the tubes laid out and the motherboard installed in the case with the blocks on it. Just for curiosity's sake.
I guess you didn't take pics during the re-assembly portion of the mod, eh? ;)

jebo_4jc said:
Right, but I was hoping to see the tubes laid out and the motherboard installed in the case with the blocks on it. Just for curiosity's sake.
I guess you didn't take pics during the re-assembly portion of the mod, eh? ;)

I am not sure what you are even asking.

Once the blocks are installed on the board (see below), what else is there to show? Putting two tubes on the ends of the barbs? Putting the six screws back in the stamped steel case? Putting the clamshell back on the console? Most people understand that reassembly is the opposite of disassembly so it would be redundant to have 20 more pictures showing the reassembly of the system.

1135950972RZLrIMzkgy_2_20_l.jpg

Steve said:

Once the blocks are installed on the board (see below), what else is there to show? Putting two tubes on the ends of the barbs? Putting the six screws back in the stamped steel case? Putting the clamshell back on the console? Most people understand that reassembly is the opposite of disassembly so it would be redundant to have 20 more pictures showing the reassembly of the system.
Geez. I just wanted to see a pic of what the inside of a water cooled xbox looked like :rolleyes:
Apparently some other people do also.

Steve said:

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick.

What I, and I assume jebo, would like to see is the complete setup with all tubing connected, with the casing off, and when routed through the holes drilled in the case.

This is the "money shot" I was expecting to see, and was disappointed by its absence.

I doubt it would take much effort to snap a couple of pics. If disassembly/reassembly is too much effort, I would be happy with just a quick shot of the back of the console showing where you've drilled the actual holes and how you've configured the barbs and tubing to leave the case.

Thanks in advance.

fannypad said:

What I, and I assume jebo, would like to see is the complete setup with all tubing connected, with the casing off, and when routed through the holes drilled in the case.

This is the "money shot" I was expecting to see, and was disappointed by its absence.

I doubt it would take much effort to snap a couple of pics. If disassembly/reassembly is too much effort, I would be happy with just a quick shot of the back of the console showing where you've drilled the actual holes and how you've configured the barbs and tubing to leave the case.

Thanks in advance.
qft

fannypad said:

Thanks in advance.

that picture above...IS...all that is inside the case after it is modded (minus two tubes)

the other picture you are talking about is this:

1135950972RZLrIMzkgy_2_22_l.jpg

Next they will be watercooling LCD's, keyboards, mice, speakers,printers. Oh its true, it's true.

Steve said:
that picture above...IS...all that is inside the case after it is modded (minus two tubes)

Thanks for the pic, but I've just noticed something else I'm not clear on.

Does the GPU block you used fit under the DVD drive when mounted? Here's a pic from Anandtech showing that there's next to no space between the bottom of the DVD drive and the stock GPU heatsink:

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/system/microsoft/xbox360/no_cov.jpg

And judging various pics around the net, it would seem that even when using the low profile H06 waterblock with the side inlet/outlet, the block mounting/retention hardware would sit too high to be able to mount the DVD drive in its stock position. This seems to be clear from the following article photo:

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTEzNTk1MDk3MlJaTHJJTXprZ3lfMl8xOV9sLmpwZw==

I'd appreciate a few photos from different angles of the inside of the 360, with all tubing connected and DVD drive mounted, so I can understand how you mounted the GPU block without fouling the DVD drive, and how all the tubing is routed. It would help me in planning my own Reserator-based 360 cooling solution. Thanks in advance :)

fannypad said:
Thanks for the pic, but I've just noticed something else I'm not clear on.

Does the GPU block you used fit under the DVD drive when mounted?

Please read the article again, your questions are answered in the article, the GPU block was changed after clearance issues to this:

1135950972RZLrIMzkgy_4_1_l.jpg

This article shows you how we did it, it is not intended to be a "be all end all / only way to do it" article. If you need further help, personalized instructions or you need a step by step tutorial please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] and I will do my best to answer your questions.

Steve said:
Please read the article again, your questions are answered in the article, the GPU block was changed after clearance issues to this:

This article shows you how we did it, it is not intended to be a "be all end all / only way to do it" article. If you need further help, personalized instructions or you need a step by step tutorial please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] and I will do my best to answer your questions.

No need for that, I was only after a pic :)

As I mentioned in my last post, I am aware that the waterblock was swapped for a lower profile version, but just don't see how the mounting hardware for it could fit under the DVD drive, and how the tubing was arranged either. It just doesn't look like it could fit.

A couple of quick pics of the assembled tubing with the DVD drive in place would put my mind at ease ;)

fannypad said:
No need for that, I was only after a pic :)

As I mentioned in my last post, I am aware that the waterblock was swapped for a lower profile version, but just don't see how the mounting hardware for it could fit under the DVD drive, and how the tubing was arranged either. It just doesn't look like it could fit.

A couple of quick pics of the assembled tubing with the DVD drive in place would put my mind at ease ;)

Check your PMs.

Anyone else having a hard time understanding how it works, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Now if only something can be done about that insanely noisey @ss DVD drive in the 360.

Oh, and any plans to watercool the PSU? It's got a whiney little fan in there. ;)

-Ed

Just read article on water cooling xbox 360 and found it very interesting. Would love to try this to quieten down my new 360. But the article makes no mention of how to quieten the DVD drive which makes 90% of the noise.

Anyone have any ideas on how to quieten the DVD drive?

Rubber grommets are always good for quieting things down.

Loved the mod. Want to know more about this $400 gaming pc and whether it can operate outside of MS's proprietary intentions.

I read all 4 pages and didn't see anything about how much you overclocked the xbox 360.

What is the point of spending so much money and time watercooling it if you cannot overclock it? Just for looks?

Hulk said:
What is the point of spending so much money and time watercooling it if you cannot overclock it? Just for looks?

Because it is [H] ard. There really is no need for any other explanation.

Back