Washed out blacks over HDMI

stop!theradio

2[H]4U
I am using an NVIDIA 9800GT and was wondering if anyone knew why blacks are gray over HDMI? In order to get blacks to be black, I've had to put in a "custom" resolution of 1920x1080 and select that in order to get nice blacks and all around good picture. When I select "1080p, 1920x1080 (recommended)" , the blacks are super washed out and ugly. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've looked around, but couldn't find any good info.

It's done this for every driver set I've used (from the one on the disc that came with the card to NVIDIA's latest.)

On my xl2370, there is a HDMI Black Level option in the monitor settings at the bottom of the Picture settings. If you have something similar set it to LOW. If not, go back to DVI I guess.

clearly the only option is to buy a monster cable

Open the Nvidia Control Panel. Goto Video & Television then Adjust video color settings. Select Use NVIDIA Settings and then Advanced tab. Change Dynamic Range to Full 0-255 from Limited 16-235

Open the Nvidia Control Panel. Goto Video & Television then Adjust video color settings. Select Use NVIDIA Settings and then Advanced tab. Change Dynamic Range to Full 0-255 from Limited 16-235

That's only for video playback and has no effect on anything else. Even so, I tried it, and it does nothing. Imagine being on hardforum...and instead of the black background being black, it's an ugly grey, and everything else looks washed out, too.

That's only for video playback and has no effect on anything else. Even so, I tried it, and it does nothing. Imagine being on hardforum...and instead of the black background being black, it's an ugly grey, and everything else looks washed out, too.

Than it's something with your LCD and not your windows install or video card

HTPC colours washed out unsharp for AMD APU Nvidia Hdmi 1.3 1.4 1.4a output Mini ITX or whatever

For colours to be accurate you have to set
1. Hdmi input of tv label to pc
2. Choose tv colour spacing bt. 709
3. set gamma on tv at maximum ,at least 2.35 for THX certification
4. Use YCbCr 4:4:4 on hdmi out
5. Calibrate all

Also madAVR settings has advanced calibration feature for TV's but dont touch colour profiles use BT 709

You have to use a registry hack to get HDMI working right on Nvidia cards. Just google it.

Back