Warning: EVGA has changed their pinout on some PSUs

This was during 2020 - 2021, around the height of the supply chain disruption. So I'm sure that had some influence on the situation. But yes, it was a pretty shit response from Corsair to only provide a Grade B Unit.
Yeah. Like they "save" a few bucks but lose a customer for life. Plus, all the guys here who won't buy Corsair any longer. Sad. Totally self-inflicted wound.

Yeah. Like they "save" a few bucks but lose a customer for life. Plus, all the guys here who won't buy Corsair any longer. Sad. Totally self-inflicted wound.
I won't because most of their products are overpriced. I've never had a corsair mouse that didn't develop a clicking issue within 1 year of use.

I won't because most of their products are overpriced. I've never had a corsair mouse that didn't develop a clicking issue within 1 year of use.
I stopped buying Corsair products a while ago too. I switched to Seasonic for PSUs and multiple other manufacturers for memory. For similar reasons as you, it always seemed like they had an asus tax on them.

I stopped buying Corsair products a while ago too. I switched to Seasonic for PSUs and multiple other manufacturers for memory. For similar reasons as you, it always seemed like they had an asus tax on them.

At one time, the Corsair tax was tolerable because they had excellent support. In the past, I’ve had their reps go out of there way to help me with stuff that they didn’t even need to. I once bought a case from Amazon warehouse and it arrived in much worse shape than described in Amazon’s listing. Got a hefty refund from Amazon and I reached out to Corsair explaining the situation and asking if I could buy some replacement parts from them to fix up the case. There was no warranty or anything on it since it was used, but Corsair sent me everything I needed at no cost at all. I didn’t even have to pay shipping. I could never imagine that kind of response from any hardware company these days.

View: https://youtu.be/66HkbAGX83g?si=5YrHDXty1_9Xa9xh

First section of the vid. Change was due to a safety related regulation. The pinout didn't need to be changed, but someone at the factory gave it the go-ahead, and nobody caught it. 🤷‍♂️

That'd be okay, apparently they knew about the change and had proceedures for sending out that model, but the wrong supply was sent by mistake. oops

At one time, the Corsair tax was tolerable because they had excellent support. In the past, I’ve had their reps go out of there way to help me with stuff that they didn’t even need to. I once bought a case from Amazon warehouse and it arrived in much worse shape than described in Amazon’s listing. Got a hefty refund from Amazon and I reached out to Corsair explaining the situation and asking if I could buy some replacement parts from them to fix up the case. There was no warranty or anything on it since it was used, but Corsair sent me everything I needed at no cost at all. I didn’t even have to pay shipping. I could never imagine that kind of response from any hardware company these days.
They did definitely have good support back then. It's kinda why I bought EVGA stuff recently, their support was one of the best.

Another situation where you have to wonder if the Internet did not blow up about this, would EVGA have done the right thing when no one was looking?
Well they say they had a proceedure in place, it should have been escalated to management but wasn't. Would've been easy enough to prove in court, but thankfully didn't have to go that far.

imo it's just a case of gross mis-management brought about by their lack of funds and experienced personnel. That's not a good excuse, but it's evga's current situation, and probably what you should expect from them at this point.

That said, they still have pretty good products, just don't expect good after-care.

And fwiw, I think I do remember some psu company announcing a change in cables for a run of units maybe a year or so ago. Being that this is the first we hear of something this bad happening, I do believe that they did have proceedures in place and that they just weren't followed this time for whatever reason.

Yea, a few years ago, I had some Corsair ML fans go poopoo after about 4 months, and when I called them about getting an RMA, the very first, and only, question they asked me was "where should we send the replacements to ? " They told me to not bother sending the bad ones back, just keep or trash them.... that was it...no fuss, no muss...

And the next afternoon, the new fans showed up at my door via OVERNIGHT mail, along with a $25 Visa gift card too !

Now THAT is called customer service, something that is SERIOUSLY lacking/non-existent nowadays :D

This is true when people actually care about quality. I'm not sure that's the case any more. Giving literally zero support has become normalized. 10% DOA rates are also becoming normalized. Expecting a product to actually work when brand new AND for it to be replaced if it doesn't is very quickly becoming a Boomer thing. What the market wants today is the cheapest possible thing even if it doesn't work.

Your reply made me realize that most of what I've bought from Corsair in the last 10 years has broken under warranty. Had a RAM set where the red LEDs died, had a RAM set where the RGB controller died and it couldn't be turned off, the dead PSU I mentioned earlier, there was a 5000D that arrived dented and Corsair wouldn't replace until I raised hell on social media, a different PSU arrived with the latches broken off of multiple cables.... the list goes on.

Now I feel silly for ever thinking they had good quality. I guess the ML fans were really good until Corsair abandoned the fans-that-actually-work-as-fans market and now there are many better options that even cost less.

Well they say they had a proceedure in place, it should have been escalated to management but wasn't. Would've been easy enough to prove in court, but thankfully didn't have to go that far.

imo it's just a case of gross mis-management brought about by their lack of funds and experienced personnel. That's not a good excuse, but it's evga's current situation, and probably what you should expect from them at this point.
This is far beyond simple inexperience. Best case, this is willful incompetence. Simply restocking their 3PL involves following certain procedures around informing the 3PL about how to handle replacements. For the event in the OP to have happened, EVGA would have had to tell their 3PL ahead of time that an acceptable swap is new for old without a cable change.

What happened, did it damage your other components and they wouldn't replace them?
It released the purple smoke and it smelled so bad it made my kitty with the iron stomach and utterly fearless brain vomit on the carpet and fried the rig. They demanded the rig be sent off on our dime for inspection and then they lost all the disks (4 250GB) and all the ram (2GB ddr 533 i think) somehow and by this time my mother was very angry and apt to take a bite out of "one of your goddam*ed tech companies". After that it was Christmas in August with that gigantic Thermaltake cube case the mozart tx or something with 2 rigs in it, a heavy and a light one and a new FW900. RIP, mom and the greatest cat to ever stalk the Earth.

Last edited:
It released the purple smoke and it smelled so bad it made my kitty with the iron stomach and utterly fearless brain vomit on the carpet and fried the rig. They demanded the rig be sent off on our dime for inspection and then they lost all the disks (4 250GB) and all the ram (2GB ddr 533 i think) somehow and by this time my mother was very angry and apt to take a bite out of "one of your goddam*ed tech companies". After that it was Christmas in August with that gigantic Thermaltake cube case the mozart tx or something with 2 rigs in it, a heavy and a light one and a new FW900. RIP, mom and the greatest cat to ever stalk the Earth.
LOL! that is the best one; the part failed so bad my cat threw up!.

LOL! that is the best one; the part failed so bad my cat threw up!.

behold the dearly departed 20lb killing machine and extreme cuddling enthusiast. He liked to swim with custom floaties and ride on any machine we tried with him without freaking out. He only really hated tornadoes, other cats, and dogs under ~50 pounds. We may or may not have had a woodpecker problem that drove him nuts and maybe he did or didn't climb up there and rip it into tiny pieces. Who knows? He also liked to depopulate the ~3km square area around our house of all other outdoor or indoor/outdoor cats and then spent most of the rest of his life outside taunting the indoor only ones from outside the windows they liked to sun in but having grown up with German Shepherds he was very, very good at coming when called.
P1000065.JPG

Last edited:
Back