WAP or Wireless Router

darkmyth

Gawd
I currently have a solid netgear router on my home network witch I would like to setup a wireless acess to for my sisters laptop and mine. I do have a smc technologies wireless router but it has recently been cracked while being on my schools network. I had WPA-PSK with TKIP and an abscure key with mac address filtering in place, but I beleive someone went on my machine and attacked my router while I wasn't in my room and forgot to lock it up. I have no access to the admin which lead me to the conclusion it was cracked.

Anyway I'm wondering how to setup a router and WAP or if there are any good routers out there that allows for it to be put into wap only mode instead of the router functionalities. I'd be taking the wireless router to college with me to use for my laptop when I wasn't home during the summer.

If I just buy a WAP for at home and get a seperate wireless router how would I go about setting up a wired router and wap to broadcast to wireless computers?

Please recommend some good decently priced hardware.
-I trust linksys, netgear, cisco, dlink for brands.
-don't trust belkin, or x brand companies.

thanks in advance.

I've been setting up a few of the Linksys wrt54gx4 units lately....their 3rd generation Pre-N/MIMO units. I love them...fantastic performance, very fast, WPA2 support also.

Regarding your SMC router...did you change your default admin password?

I have had no issues with my WAP54G. I believe it had Sveasoft firmware on it which helped increase range some.

An access point is basically just turning your wired connection into a wireless one. Just give it an IP on your wired network, configure your security settings, and you will be able to receive an IP from your router (If DHCP is enabled on the router).

You can turn any wireless router into an AP. Give it a static IP out of the router (your new/main one)'s DHCP scope, and turn off its (wireless router's) DHCP server, and connect it to your LAN through one of its LAN ports, not the WAN port. This will treat it as a switch. Simple, cheap, effective.

YeOldeStonecat said:
I've been setting up a few of the Linksys wrt54gx4 units lately....their 3rd generation Pre-N/MIMO units. I love them...fantastic performance, very fast, WPA2 support also.

Regarding your SMC router...did you change your default admin password?

Yes I changes the default to an abscure password. Numbers letters and wildcards, and with the linksys wrt54gx4 its on the exspensive side being $130. Are they stable or do they tend to junk out as most routers do?

lotik said:
I have had no issues with my WAP54G. I believe it had Sveasoft firmware on it which helped increase range some.

How much and from what company?

movax said:
You can turn any wireless router into an AP. Give it a static IP out of the router (your new/main one)'s DHCP scope, and turn off its (wireless router's) DHCP server, and connect it to your LAN through one of its LAN ports, not the WAN port. This will treat it as a switch. Simple, cheap, effective.

Interesting, the only issue though is that my SMC router is a peice of junk as it seems. It's dropping signal now even after resetting it to defaults and then putting in my settings. No one around my hall is having connection drop issues so it must be the router.

setttings:
mac address filtering
turned off remote admin
reset admin password
running wpa-psk TKIP encryption pre shared 11 character passphrase
shutting off ssid broadcast.

darkmyth said:
the linksys wrt54gx4 its on the exspensive side being $130. Are they stable or do they tend to junk out as most routers do?

I haven't experienced much of routers junking out....the wrt54gx4s are awesome...I've setup like a 1/2 dozen of them lately...nice units.

I currently have a solid netgear router on my home network witch I would like to setup a wireless acess to for my sisters laptop and mine. I do have a smc technologies wireless router but it has recently been cracked while being on my schools network. I had WPA-PSK with TKIP and an abscure key with mac address filtering in place, but I beleive someone went on my machine and attacked my router while I wasn't in my room and forgot to lock it up. I have no access to the admin which lead me to the conclusion it was cracked.

Seeing that your door was unlocked, sounds like someone waltzed in and pressed the reset button on your router, then put their own password in. You can do the same to undo it. Goes to show that physical computer security matters as much as WPA, hide/lockup your router next time. If it was really remotely cracked, well WPA is hard to crack, I'm sure regularly changing the password would thwart 'em.

444 said:
Seeing that your door was unlocked, sounds like someone waltzed in and pressed the reset button on your router, then put their own password in. You can do the same to undo it. Goes to show that physical computer security matters as much as WPA, hide/lockup your router next time. If it was really remotely cracked, well WPA is hard to crack, I'm sure regularly changing the password would thwart 'em.

ya, seems as though it was physically attacked.

The thing is though that when I reset it and did all of my changes the thing still drops wired or wireless connection. Things a peice of junk, and smc networks fireware page for this router is a mess with no telligible version to use.

Back