Wanted: Very quiet HSF w/ 120mm fan but no under-bracket required

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
I absolutely detest taking the motherboard out of the case when I want to swap/test processors, etc. But I also hate noisy HSF's. Does anyone know if there is a good 120mm fan HSF that only requires a clamp down, not a bracket change on the bottom of the mobo? Bonus would be the 120mm fan is removeable so that I can replace it easily if it dies. Am I asking for too much of the world?

EDIT: Oh it's for a Phenom II/AM3.

Yea.. no. I use it with the push-pins and have for over a year now. I move my PC in my car quite often and this thing couldn't be more solidly locked on if it tried.

Don't spread FUD without personal experience.

Agreed with criccio. I had the OCZ version of the xiggy and the push pins were legit.

I just installed the Xigmatek dark knight on a phenom II build, was easy. Only thing is that the way the heatsink is oriented, if your clips on the bracket are vertical (I think most AM3/AM2's are), the heatsink will only be able to be oriented blowing air up or down, I have it blowing up out of the case. It is nearly inaudible below like 50% fan speed, at 100% its like an antec tricool on high, but the thing moves a TON of air. Also when you install it, and most likely you will have the fan under the heatsink, pushing air up toward the top of the case, make sure you put the actual clip mechanism that you push down to lock it, on the opposite side of the fan. If you put the fan on the same side as the little switch thing it makes would make the heatsink fairly impossible to remove (the rubber grommets to hold the fan are a pain in the ass to put on, they work great, just a pain in the ass, so I'm sure they are a pain in the ass to get off).

Back